987.1 Cayman S on the track

MFX

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone has taken their 987.1 on the track. I am not looking at building a track monster, but I would like to go and do the odd track day to use the car as it was intended. The issue I have is after reading some OS forums, there is talk of oil starvation issues, boiling power steering pumps, etc.

I can understand bigger problems with R spec tyres.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Hi MFX

I have a 987.1 (non S) and have taken it on the track once.  It won't be the last time.  B)

Prior to going I had new front rotors and pads fitted (stock standard) and also have the brake fluid flushed.

The day was high 30's from memory and god knows what the track temp would have been.

My rear tyres were almost finished so some would say that's the best time to "finish them off" on a track day.

That just about sums up my preparation outside of upping the tyre pressures and taking a pressure gauge with me to check after my first run.

I drove the car progressively faster as the day went on, certainly "holding my own" again cars with larger engines (V8 commodores etc) The V8's would get me on the straights and I'd catch them through the corners.  

Then there was the others with better grip (EVO 9) but i was probably just a little braver under brakes and were at times faster.

As far as the car was concerned it went like a train all day without any fuss.

Yes the brakes got a little spongy later in the day but equally they never "didn't stop" and I could feel my seat belt pulling across my chest under heavy braking at the end of both straights.

So the pedal travel increased but they still gave me confidence and pulled up hard and straight.

Apart from that there were no ill effects in the car at all.  

Drove the next day and couldn't tell the difference.

Not sure if that is of any help to you.

Just go out there and enjoy your car.  You don't have to rip all four wheels off it just enjoy the freedom that a track offers.  :D

Quite a few years ago now I used to get out to the track quite frequently and at one stage had a dedicated track car, so I won't be able to get out there and " take it easy". I do get a touch competitive ;)

My main thinking is, do I need to get a one of the sump baffle kits or similar things mentioned.

Now I have finally got a fun car again I want to get out and enjoy it a bit, at least until I save some more pennies to get a more dedicated track car.

• 2 weeks later...

Good discussion and interested in peoples experience too.

I'm thinking the same way. The car should be able to handle light tracking at beginner speeds on street tyres :) I'd be disappointed if the car could not handle this safely as my little honda did 100,000k's with a fair amount of track miles, hard driving and no issues! (P.S I did start oiling mods after 70k when I switched to race tyres)

To me, Light means

- 3-4 laps before you get overheat in the tyres, most likely 1 warm up, 2 hot, 1 warm down

Personally, I would start modifying if I could drive the car to the limits, generate the G's or doing more than 3-4 track days a year. I am estimating that basics such as baffled pan, 3rd radiator and underpulley needs about a 4-5k budget unless you DIY.

Then you get the more serious stuff.

From the FVD site, they describe an a weakness or issue when taking fast long sweeping right hand turns

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/911S-123-44/-/-/item/item_details/VID_10326167-VCD_11901135-gid_194-sort_4-display_50-item_FVD20798701/Tuning_-_Engine_-_Oil_System_FVD20798701_Oil_pump_Tandem_Return_for_987.1.html

When getting into more and more track use, I'd start to wonder you'd get more ROI on your $ if you could commit to something like a 3.8l rebuild with  additional oiling efficiencies from the start.

That was what I was sort of thinking myself. Ultimately I would like to get an air cooled hot rod to set up as a pure weekend track car but I am probably still 6 - 12 months away from that. The Cayman is my daily driver so I don't want to modify it too much, as I will probably only have it for a couple of years before upgrading, and I don't want it off the road for any great length of time.

Archived