SC Suspension Refresh

Dusty

There's enough good threads on how to refresh the bushings/shocks so I thought I'd show what the old bushings looked like after I pulled them out.

There were some sporadic squeaks coming from the front end, the left torsion bar adjustment cap to be precise as well as a minor knocking from the rear as I'd leave my driveway. The car would also occasionally feel a bit loose on the highway and had a bit more body-roll than I expected. I couldn't see much evidence of bushing replacements in the cars history so thought I'd dive in as well as replace the F&R sway bar bushings, new front ball joints and a set of Koni's adjustables all round.

Here was the front

DE66CB29-6E7F-4EB0-AF47-AE84B95C2790_zps

AAFA0E6E-AEAF-450A-B3E7-130E7ADE9DD8_zps

Front control arm bushing - This was allowing the torsion bar to drop a little and the end adjustment cap would rub against the crossmember on one side

871C6E76-4EB6-4012-8FAC-7262E5A6F74C_zps

Rear - This was after the cover plate was removed. You can see the deformed bushing which was allowing the cover plate to touch the spring plate and make the knocking sound.  

18A00312-E904-44F1-87A6-B345ABAC7F40_zps

The process was straightforward but I had big drama's removing the rear right torsion bar from the spring plate, had to cut a hole in the cap (which also wouldn't come off) then use a big gear puller. The front ball joints were also fused to the front struts and only came out after the purchase of a big ball joint remover. I did have some joy with my new rattle gun which made short work of some of the larger nuts around the place, without it some of the rear eccentric bolts would have probably remained stuck.

Here's the refreshed parts:

B0042850-CBB2-4AB5-8A59-C9B8F96D653B_zps

132F37B7-A368-4BC4-BF03-E95D24D3720B_zps

Lastly, reset the ride height to proper euro levels and had the car aligned locally for now.

Overall it was a flaming turd of a job. Dirty, frustrating due to the stuck bolts/parts and time consuming. It took 3-4 full days but 2 of those days were spent removing stuck components so if you had some luck, it'd be done in half the time.

First drive impressions are quite good, the car is much more compliant and stable around my local streets. I haven't given it a good run through any twisties but I'm aiming to do that this weekend and will report back. 

Thanks Peter, I got most of the kit from Automotion and a few extra items from Sierra Madre. Went with standard rubber bushings (Neatrix rears and Uro fronts), the Koni's were the Boge retrofit kind up the front. 

Appreciate the info Dusty,

That's the same front shocks I need to get. I am thinking Elephant racing for the bushes and strut brace with SuperPro specifically for the sway bar and engine mounts. I am sure my wheel alignment guru will cringe as he insisted rubber all round, but I figure just the sway bar won't ruin the ride too much (he says wishfully)

Enjoy that lovely ride!

Cheers...

Good work Dusty.  I understand how much of a PIA that job can be.  I had similar issues with torsion bars not wanting to come out easily.

Looks like you have it sorted.  Getting a car driving and handling right is very rewarding - I'm sure you'll enjoy taking it out this weekend.

Glad you got through it unscathed! I tore the base of my nose apart using a tyre lever to get the rear spring plate bushing off - and have the scar to prove it.

Mine showed the classic "cold creep" that happens to loaded rubber. 

Old next to new for comparison. These cars deserve to be brought back to factory specs and no rubber lasts >25 years.

IMG_0979.jpg

Archived