PCV @ Phillip Island - July 2011

myred911

Chapter #1

Slept through the 4:30 alarm, the body twitched 20 minutes later, I am already behind the game so a quick coffee & meaty bites and out the door with pit crew in tow.

Down the Calder, then Citylink, must top-up the ETAG 'cos I hate the constant beeping, through the Domain Tunnel (window down, give her a rev or two ) then on to the Monash.

The Monash goes on forever. I deliberately slip past the first Cranbourne/Phillip Island exit, head to Pakenham (pit crew still in tow). I know there 3 exits to Pakenham but only one to Koo-Wee-Rup but I forget which one to take. I even miss the first exit signage as I'm distracted by a tosser cutting in front of me right at the wrong moment. Pit crew still faithfully following me.

The next exit is to Clarinda (but no Koo-Wee-Rup sign) so I decide to take that exit on the misguided belief that the previous exit MIGHT have said Koo-Wee-Rup. We U-turn over the freeway Bridge and head back west along the Monash to the Clarinda exit. At least we are now heading south and will eventually meet the South Gippsland Highway at some stage.

The road deteriorates and there are some nasty corners ( sorry pit crew ), Koo-Wee-Rup appears and all is well with the world. I am now reassured when I see several Porsches on the road (at least I have the right day too ). By this time the sun is rising and light rain creates a wonderful rainbow on the way into San Remo. The bakery is closed so no coffee or toasty for us this time.

Past the Vietnam Vets centre and the chocolate factory, not far from the GP circuit now as the anticipation grows and the "Tour-de-South Gippsland" is forgotten! Still raining lightly and the wind is up. Check if gate 1 to the circuit is open, it is, so we avoid the truck entrance, the gravel and the spooky sheep in the paddock. The pitcrew are still following, have to presume they are awake.

Wave to the gatekeeper, get a green light for the tunnel (Yes - another tunnel and another rev-up). We find a clear parking spot amid the hit-tech trailers, Cayennes, F350s and Landcruisers.

rEd

Chapter #2

I unpacked the S2 of all extraneous matter, fit the bonnet tie down and tow hook, connect the Dorian, off to race control to sign in and get my race numbers then shuffle off to scrutineering. Most drivers in the queue are snuggled in their cars out of the wind and rain so banter is at a minimum and scrutineering is very efficient this day.

Off to the canteen for a coffee and a cup of tea for the pit crew. Drivers' briefing at 9 as we all huddle under the canteen awning. Herr Renn Direktor announces the day's running order including a heads-up on lunch arrangements. This time mittagessen and kaffee is on the house, not really, but is included in the entry fee. A good idea given the run-of-the mill canteen food.

Herr Renn Direktor announces the track as wet. We have been warned...

With 3 groups ahead of me and the pit crew in the Jeep - she is a sensible girl, I take the opportunity to chat to a few friendly types before one final check of the S2 before the call from Herr Renn Direktor that my group is to muster on the dummy grid.

Adjust the seat closer to the steering wheel, tighten the harness and pull on the brain bucket, wipers and headlights on and more heat to the screen.

As I sit in the dummy grid (an appropriate term) I consider the condition of the worn Dunlop D01Js, now very cold and with little chance of getting heat into the tyres this session.

The group on the track are flying down the main straight in clouds of spray. Keep up the good work fellas, dry that track for me.

That group heads back to the pits and we are then released to test ourselves on the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit.

NOTE TO SELF - take it easy out there sunshine.

What a buzz.

I expect the car park would have been packed on the weekend.

Looking forward to Chapter 2.

Hi Doug,

As always the car pack tends to be crowded towards the canteen end. Those with trailers and trucks take up lots of space so the place can be crowded.

Around midday, a PCV tour group arrive for a feed and added even more cars. Those that drive down to PI try and store their gear out of the weather under the garage awnings and those with deeper pockets opt for a garage.

Chapter #2 - done just for you :)

Hi Andrew,

Really well written. i felt like I was in the car with you, even got a little nervous at the end waiting to hit the track. :D

Must admit I am glad I had something else to do that do as standing on a corner in the wind and rain wasnt all that appealing. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

This may, or may not be common knowledge.

However, if you get off the Pakenham bypass at Cardinia Road, and turn right. You can then follow this to the stop sign at Ballarto road.

Go diaginally left to Dalmore road, and follow this (over Manks Road) all the way to the Sth Gippy Highway. Brings you out just before Tooradin airport.....

Why? cause its almost 100kmh all the way, no traffic, and misses all the trafic on the Pakenham - Kooweerup Rd, which is 90 at best.

Saves quite a bit of time.

Hope this helps for the future,

cheers

Peter :D:D

Archived