torsion bars

thesnowdrift

hi guys

i currently have the original standard torsion bars, does anyone know if the turbo bars of my models were bigger and any stiffer?

is this a feasible swap, i don't want crazy upgrade to hollow race bars just something a little stiffer...

can anyone recommend an option?

thanks

Pete

Guest vas930

Hi Pete. Yes the turbo bars are bigger,mainly due to the weight of the engine.

21mm front and 26mm rear may be a good place to start, if you want to change.

Do you track your car? If yes this may be an advantage. If not the standard setup is more than adequate. My dads 74 Carrera was very succcessful on track with the stock setup.

Hope some of the Carrera boys jump in on this and give an opinion.

Talk to the experts also. http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-e.html This is a good start.

Hope this helps and let us know how you go.

Good luck. Vas :)

Hi Pete. Yes the turbo bars are bigger,mainly due to the weight of the engine.

21mm front and 26mm rear may be a good place to start, if you want to change.

Do you track your car? If yes this may be an advantage. If not the standard setup is more than adequate. My dads 74 Carrera was very succcessful on track with the stock setup.

Hope some of the Carrera boys jump in on this and give an opinion.

Talk to the experts also. http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-e.html This is a good start.

Hope this helps and let us know how you go.

Good luck. Vas :)

Hi Vas

Thanks for the input...

I have all new poly bushes, carrera sway bars, turbo tie rodends...

Was intended for a little occasional track work...

They are 35 yr old so may be time for new ones...

Hope some more guys have some input...

Cheers

Pete

Cheers

Guest vas930

Sounds good Pete. 21mm front and 26mm seems to be the go from what you say you want.

Any bigger and the car may become to hard for street use.

Jnr356 may have some good advice also.

What does your Porsche mech think?

cheers guys

yes jnr i got the koni's in there...even done engine mounts when i done bushes...

i am looking for a new mechanic in WA i have had conflicting stories...

one said yes and the splines will be different so will have to reset ride height, wheel alignment and corner balance again...

the other just said no and if i did splines are the same only problem would be is that it would weaken the body after a couple of years...

Pete

yes you will have to reset ride heights and redo alignment,wouldn't bother with corner weights

but the torsion bars need to be set 100% correctly

as for the weakening the body...one word.....WANKER,stay away from this guy .he either doesn't know what he's talking about or doesn't want to do the job

thought about a trip to victoria? there's a few places i would trust here

probably need your car for a day or two

yes you will have to reset ride heights and redo alignment,wouldn't bother with corner weights

but the torsion bars need to be set 100% correctly

as for the weakening the body...one word.....WANKER,stay away from this guy .he either doesn't know what he's talking about or doesn't want to do the job

thought about a trip to victoria? there's a few places i would trust here

probably need your car for a day or two

Cheers jnr

I was thinking same thing...WANKER, but for someone who has been in the business for 30 yrs you would think he knows a thing or two...

I am in WA with car now so a trip to Vic is a bit tough, will just keep looking here...

You seem to be full of knowledge, what would you suggest for a steering rack with a little free play...Rebuild?

Thanks

Pete

i'd reckon the flange on the pinion is probably a little loose,pain in the arse job ,only need about a half a turn to tighten it up.

try that 1st ,those racks are fairly bulletproof

already done, no joy...

it was suggested i try a second hand unit, think i will just go rebuild...

cheers jnr

Pete

it's just in 30 years i don't think i've seen a shagged out rack post 1974? ish :blink: in a 911

had quite a few with that loose pinion flange,which is fairly indiscriminate (ie.hard to pick)

cheers mate...

i will get another opinion to support your theory, i have heard elsewhere that they are indestructable...

if thats all it is i am going to be mighty pissed paying 4 hours labour if it is that and wasn't done...

also just found today when adjusting brake light switch that master cylinder that was apparently ok with previous mentioned expert appears to be spewing fluid into the pedal box...

thanks again jnr

i am now looking at the 21mm and 26mm torsion bars with rennsport

Pete

Hi Guys

Thanks for your advice...

I am looking at going with hollow bars 21mm front and 26mm rear from Pelican...any thoughts?

Also thinking i might up the brake master cylinder too, since mine is the original 17mm unit and use the Pelican 19mm unit

Pete

Sounds great Pete.

Whats the weight saving over the solid bars? :)

according to Pelican it was something like 30% in the front and about 40% rear...

from what i am reading on their site they are weltmeister bars...

i hope they are a good investment :mellow:

Sorry to butt in ... jnr, where would you recommend in vic to go talk suspension? I need to do mine at some point, but I also need to find someone who knows what they are doing who can weld in some adjustable rear camber boxes once I get them off back order from elephant in the states...

Sorry to butt in ... jnr, where would you recommend in vic to go talk suspension? I need to do mine at some point, but I also need to find someone who knows what they are doing who can weld in some adjustable rear camber boxes once I get them off back order from elephant in the states...

Hi Wobbly,

Don't know where you are located, but maybe you should have a chat with Mike at Spyder Automobiles in Warragul.Mike has a long history with Porsches, and is great at expalining options etc.

At the moment I have my 78 SC with him and He is upgrading to Turbo Tie rods, Koni Sports, and 21 and 29mm Sander Engineering (U.S) tubular torsion bars, plus a brake upgrade. Not cheap, but I believe the results will be worth it!!

Am I excited? You bet!! :D:D

regards

Peter

Guest vas930

Hey Wobbly, talk to Loui at Motion Automotive.

Has been woking on Porsche only for a long time.

He is in Sth Melbourne. ph 96450022

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck. :)

stealing my post back :lol:

21 and 26 bars from Weltmeister are on the way, along with a 23mm Master Cylinder...

Folks,

For what its worth, I got the car back on the weekend, and the transformation is brilliant. It handles brilliantly, and just performs so much better. All the best wit your upgrades; I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

regards

Peter :D

Archived