Import 911 from the UK

At the moment, you can only import cars that are manufactured before January 1989 .... so unfortunately, you can't go too new.

Laws look to be changing soon to a rolling 25 year old car ...... but not till 2018 (not confirmed yet)

It does not appear you will be / are  living in the UK and having proof of owning a UK 911 (with a build date between 1990 and 2017) for at least 365 days that matches your passport stamps showing you were in country for greater than 365's days  that lines up with when you owned the UK 911.   I had grandiose plans when I was chasing an internal posting to the UK with a view to qualifying for a personal UK import.

If the above statement holds true, when you say, newer 911, I am assuming you are referring to anything post SC's up to 1989 and forward looking if these new import rules for new cars / older cars come into play, anything 2017 / post 2017  in the year 2018 that hasn't racked up more than 500km or cars with a rolling 25 year prior build date from 2018 . The reason I say that is, I am scratching my head and intrigued as to how you are going to get past "go" in terms of the strategy to legally obtain a vehicle import approval certificate for a UK 911 with a build date between 1990 and 2017.

The link below gives you info about step 1 and step 2.    Step 2 is then actually pulling the trigger once you have an example for which you can obtain a vehicle import approval certificate and sorting out:Shipping, customs clearing including cleaning requirements, paying duties and taxes, vehicle compliance requirements  / actual passing visual inspection requirements to get the vehicle registered within a state.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/index.aspx

Shorter answer

- live there for 12 months of ownership and driving of the car, and you can bring in anything

- buy a car pre 1989 and you can bring in anything without even visiting the country

- wait for new laws to pass and 2017 to get here and you can bring in cars built up to 1992, and increasing by one year each year after that.

uk sc models are poor value at the moment, you are better off finding one in oz that is already imported.  They always sell for less and if it has been here for a while then it's less likely to be rusty.  Any car living in the UK for 35 years will be rusty.

I am about to bring my 997.2 back to Australia with me, but unfortunately the laws are very tight around living in the UK and owning the car for at least 12 months. You also have to show evidence of 'normal' use during that time. Even if you live here you can't just buy a car and store it for 12 months...

Having said this, the guy where I garage my car reckons he stores cars for Aussies buying them and importing them after 12 months. He told me that these buyers rarely even visit the UK so not sure how they get away with proving their living arrangements.

On the earlier air cooled cars - they are really hard to find in the UK (a) in good condition and (b) at a good price. As mentioned above, you would be better off finding a really neat Aust Del car. You will pay a premium these days, but at least the value isn't likely to go down...

Archived