997 Series II PDK

Binskit

Newby so go easy.

I am looking to fulfil my lifelong dream of owning a porsche very soon.

I have kind of settled on the 997 Series II and i want PDK

I have read a UK article (http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/porsche/porsche-911-carrera-used-997-long-term-test-review-2015/) in which they swapped out the standard buttoned steering wheel for a paddle version.  I drove the paddle version of the 991 at Stuttgart last year and that it was tI really want.

I have been told by a mechanic that they can replace the triptronic button set up with paddles but not the PDK set up with buttons.

Does anyone have experience on this issue and, if so, what is the position?

The follow up question is how difficult is the button set up? the article seems to rate is a pretty annoying.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

I have a PDK Cayman. It is awesome. Buttons are very easy to use and you get up/down on both sides of the steering wheel plus you get the PDK leaver as well so it doesn't matter where your hands are you should be able to grab the gear you want. Jim Richards prefers PDK because it is faster. Walter Rohl prefers PDK because it is faster and PDK is in the GT3 RS because it is faster. It is also the best option if you are commuting in the city. 

The buttons are pretty good once you get used to them but if you swap between cars often then you do have the occasional up instead of down (or vica versa) which brings me to the final advantage in that the car can't be over revved and have the engine buzzed on the way down the gears due to poor heel and toe skills. The gearbox won't let it happen. 

Binskit - I have done this exact conversion on my 2010 997.2. I had the button push/pull wheel on my car when I bought it and knew that it was the one thing I was going to change. For me, the buttons didn't feel intuitive and didn't seem to fit the character of a sportscar. I was also used to paddles from my last 2 cars. The paddles have a nice engaging 'click'. For what it's worth, the sport design steering wheel looks the part too...

The process was dead easy - I ordered the sport design wheel from my local OPC, they called me when it arrive, we booked a date for fitting and the whole process took about 90 minutes. (I think there is some re-coding that takes place too).

Here are the before and after pics.

20150707_150659_zpsmglkb1fu.jpg

Steeringwhell1_zpsevgmlobr.jpg

the first boxster s i test drove had the button setup and i didnt like it. Am sure you will get use to it though.

my current car has the sport steering wheel with the paddles, and i love it.

As mentioned above, its just a matter of purchasing the sport steering wheel and swapping them over

Binskit - I have done this exact conversion on my 2010 997.2. I had the button push/pull wheel on my car when I bought it and knew that it was the one thing I was going to change. For me, the buttons didn't feel intuitive and didn't seem to fit the character of a sportscar. I was also used to paddles from my last 2 cars. The paddles have a nice engaging 'click'. For what it's worth, the sport design steering wheel looks the part too...

The process was dead easy - I ordered the sport design wheel from my local OPC, they called me when it arrive, we booked a date for fitting and the whole process took about 90 minutes. (I think there is some re-coding that takes place too).

Here are the before and after pics.

20150707_150659_zpsmglkb1fu.jpg

Steeringwhell1_zpsevgmlobr.jpg

That is exactly the wheel I want.  My current Beemer has these....not that I ever use them its a diesel

Whats it cost? and does putting it on damage resale?

Firstly, it doesn't impact resale value (at least not negatively). Many potential 911 drivers will want this steering wheel over the button style so in my opinion it's a value-add. Remember, this was an option on the Gen 2 997's so as far as a potential buyer is concerned it may have been fitted from new.

You will need to call you local Porsche dealer for pricing, but mine was 695 pounds here in the UK, so about $1,400 AUD. I have also seen them on ebay etc for around $1000 AUD.

Archived