Wheel Noise

I have recently noticed a noise coming from the front drivers-side wheel of my '81 SC. It starts out as a dull cyclical noise at about 40 kph and increases in rate and dB around 60 kph. By 80 kph - 90 kph it is not as noticeable.

I am hoping it might just be a flat spot on the tyre as the rubber is getting old and I generally only drive the car on the weekends or the occasional work run. I am not very mechanically minded though so is there anything else that it could be? Bearing issue perhaps? Is there anything I can do to try and diagnose the problem (other than just taking it down to the local service centre)?

Could be any of the following:

1) An out of balance wheel - Needs diagnosis on a wheel balancer. Cheap and easy.

2) Unevenly worn tyre - Visual inspection. Could be caused by #1

3) Wheel bearing - Jack the car up and, with your hands at 3 and 9, rock the wheel side to side. Should be no movement. 

4) Brake pad rubbing/sticky calliper - Again with the car jacked up, try turning the wheel. It should roll freely. If it doesn't, the calliper might need an overhaul.

Just to add to Jeremy's wheel bearing suggestion, it could be the bearing itself starting to fail even thought there isn't any obvious play/movement. 

If this is the case the dull cyclic noise is a possible description.  To tell for sure, removing the wheel and the brake pads will allow you to spin the hub freely and allow you to clearly hear the sound of the bearings.  If a bearing is on the way out, the sound won't be consistent and it may even feel to have an obvious rough patch when you turn it slowly too.

Good luck!  

What tyres do you have - I have Pirelli Pzeros on the front and they make a horrible thrumming noise on smooth tarmac at about those speeds, worst at about 70 km/hr

Archived