1985 Porsche 924S brochure

ANF

Didn't we get the S here? Dad has the late 924 '81, 5 stud ect. We've got a earlier one with a 4 stud (smaller brakes ect) a few differences from what i remember. 

The S is probably the best base for a light weight N/A. Unfortunately the engines where detuned from the 944. 
a 968 motor and box in that chassis, would be epic!

Sounds about right. IIRC the timeline was (about):

• 76-82 924 NA
  • 79-81 924 Turbo
  • 82 - 85 Early 944
  • 85 - 89 Late 944
  • 924S ran from about the 83/84 to about 87/88 in other markets. I think it only appeared in the US in the later years. Had all early running gear and interior, even after the 944 was updated.

Apparently a 924S is only slightly heavier than the original 924NA, but had a detuned 2.5l 944 engine offering 160hp. That's a package that sounds like great fun to me.

I am sure Wikipedia will prove me inaccurate in some respects.

Didn't we get the S here? Dad has the late 924 '81, 5 stud ect. We've got a earlier one with a 4 stud (smaller brakes ect) a few differences from what i remember. 

The S is probably the best base for a light weight N/A. Unfortunately the engines where detuned from the 944. 
a 968 motor and box in that chassis, would be epic!

I believe 5 stud was an option on the NA, and standard on all but the very first Turbos.

I have never seen a 5 stud NA in Aus (in the flesh or advertised) - are you sure it wasn't converted at some point in it's life?

924S were all 5 stud, and apparently faster accelerating than the 944 of the time (due to better power to weight). They had a lower final drive though, so not as fast outright.

I have never seen a 924S in Oz. Pretty sure Porsche Australia stopped the 924 entirely when the 944 was released.

Dads one is all factory, bought it pretty much new, low K's. He only maintained it and drove it. But gave up on it when the guards red went pink and started having issues with the mechanical fuel injection. 

It's half way though a resto. it's sanded back for a new coat of paint. The engine will probably go all electronic. Won't get more power out of it unless we charge it (got a charger sitting around) 

Don't have much time to play with cars at the moment though. 

According to Porsche records no 924S were officially imported into Australia and the last of the 924 brought into Australia were as follows:-

Year       Model      Capacity       kW/hp      Engine No       VIN        No of  Imports

1982        924           2.0             92/125           XJ             92CN4            83

924T                           130/177       3103           93CN1            30

The 944 importation started the same year.

Archived