Engine 'Carbon Clean'?

SteveC

anybody do this on their P car?

I don't see it in the service book, but when it was done along with a new fuel pump and regulator on a non P car the car runs like new - very little vibration, smooth, surreal almost.

I've never heard of it before

I have had good experance with this Nulon stuff. Did a before and after borescope inspection and it did remove carbon in the cylinder. After a couple of cleans almost all head carbon was gone with very little left on the piston. 

image.jpeg

It was done at non P dealer and when the service advisor suggested a carbon clean i thought here we go again and asked him is this the fuel mixture you add to the tank as I don't need that as I run on BP Ultimate? he said no we dissemble the intake and throttle body and spray carbon cleaner to substantially reduce carbon build up. It was about $290 so decided to give the dealer the business. 

When I got the car back I was rather pleasantly surprised and unexpected - less car vibration, power seems effortless, revs smoother, throttle response was much better. picks up speed easier, car became overall more refined.

Got me wondering - should I do it to the other cars but I've never heard the P dealer mentioning something like this?

You mean this stuff?

seafoam21351341955.jpg

I must admit, I thought it was snake oil, but I've heard good things about it. Here's a Pelican thread. 

Sea Foam

I have had good experance with this Nulon stuff. Did a before and after borescope inspection and it did remove carbon in the cylinder. After a couple of cleans almost all head carbon was gone with very little left on the piston. 

image.jpeg

It was done at a car dealer so I don't know what they used, but I presume this is similar to what they used

Carbon build up is epidemic in modern DFI engines.

I'm thinking of installing meth injection in the mini to prevent this (plus the additional cooling & power)

Here's what my mini looked like before it's first de-carbon!

i-HVrtTj7.jpg

I lifted this from one of the many PP  threads on using Seafoam carbon cleaner.   Worth considering...

Seafoam does work however as fun as the "smoke shows" are, I recommend using it sparingly if at all. Where do you think all them dislodged bits of carbon are gonna go? Into the turbo hot side and/or the cylinder walls (think possible scoring, carbon is hard even on alusil). 

Don't get me wrong - its good stuff and it does work, but there may be unintended consequences. Probably best to do a little at a time (like, by putting it into the tank rather than the "fun" way) to minimize the likelihood of really big/damaging chunks getting busted up (better to have little ones over many engine cycles than a few large dramatic ones over a few).

Archived