996 C4 space saver - drive further?

D2000

Managed to get a flat rear tyre yesterday so changed it out for the collapsible space saver to get me home.  After some googling, there are some forum posts that suggest the collapsible spare should have been put on the front and a front wheel put at the rear.  I can't see anything in my owner's manual to the effect, and I don't have the time/ability to change it now.

I now need to drive 6km to the tyre place to get a new tyre.  Should I keep going with the space saver, or take the wheel there in another car.  My preference is to go there in my P-car so that they can remove and collapse the space saver and fit the wheel with the correct torque etc.  I have already driven about 25km on the space saver.

Thanks in advance

PS - the drive home yesterday was very miserable - had wife and kids with me, so my wife drove back and I sat in the passenger seat with an 18" wheel with tyre on my lap

Is there really no other place top put the full sized wheel? If not that is nuts and very dangerous!

Glad you now have it fixed.

I'm not aware of any other place.  Doesn't fit in the trunk.  Would fit comfortably in the rear with the seats folded down, but not possible when those seats are occupied...

I do recall a thread about this on rennlist that you indeed can't put the spacesaver on the rear. I'll try and find it. 

Did you buy an N rated tyre? 

That is probably the thread that I saw, although it suggested the restriction was referred to in the owner's manual.  I can't see anything in my owner's manual.

Yes I bought an N-rated tyre (to replace the pretty much brand new N-rated tyre I ruined).  Michelin PS2 N3

Archived