996.2 rear console part availability

I don't know how or where, but I'm missing the small black leather cover at the rear of the centre console behind the opening lid of my 2002 996.2 targa - part no. 996.552.127.00A11 The car had recent work done at several places in Sydney and somehow it's lost - OEM is $900+ so I'm trying to locate 996 wrecking - does anyone have a list of used part suppliers I can follow up, as my contacts have none currently. Thanks guys

I don't know how or where, but I'm missing the small black leather cover at the rear of the centre console behind the opening lid of my 2002 996.2 targa - part no. 996.552.127.00A11 The car had recent work done at several places in Sydney and somehow it's lost - OEM is $900+ so I'm trying to locate 996 wrecking - does anyone have a list of used part suppliers I can follow up, as my contacts have none currently. Thanks guys

Acknowledge you brought second hand, but you obviously are not a online parts shopper for new parts  and I assume waiting for a part for 7 to 10 days like a center console cover is totally unacceptable.  Just a general tip from a fellow 996 enthusiast, but may I suggest you spend 30 seconds putting sonnenporscheoemparts.com as a favourite on your phone / laptop, and note that within 30 seconds once that site pops up, you should be able to get a aud price (divide Sonnens' by current quoted fx rates less 0.03) on any 996 part  ex shipping to use as a cross check before offering up reference prices from your current go to references.  That pricing had me spiting out my cornflakes when I read it given I just had over 20 new genuine Porsche boxed / labeled  996 coolant , heater  / water line hoses delivered a couple of days ago for under  $900, and I've been procrastinating on whether to pull the trigger on a new undressed artic silver center console which I expected to land for under $900+ . https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/cm032001.pl.  

So just to test whether or not spitting my cornflakes out was a bit premature of a reaction,  within 45 secs (time it took to clean up my cornflakes) of typing online and a few copy and pastes after removal of "."'s (most parts websites detest the full stops and I would of halved my time to get reference pricing if you removed them from  your post, eg another inkling that your are not a  online parts shopper), that Genuine brand part new part that you referenced would have me dropping / referencing closer to circa $600aud delivered to my door if felt compelled to reference the cost of a brand new part opposed to the $900+ reference you have made. (Refer to weblinks below)  Also not one that doesn't subscribe to dollar cost averaging your shipping cost when the opportunity arises, but with the extra $300 (reference your $900+, and keeping clear of the $1000 duties issues) not unfeasible that you could of also tacked onto the order of that  new leather cover, genuine Porsche boxed oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and cabin filter, front and rear windscreen wipers and drain plugs for your next service.

Recently, I spent a fair bit on time online searching, putting together and costing parts for my 996  (sample size of circa 300 plus part numbers ) both new and used.  My experience is if buying new genuine Porsche boxed / stamped parts and a wait time of 7 to 10 days is acceptable,  I  found very rarely for a 996 will you beat Sonnen's online listed prices (easy-square on the odd occasion and local supplier on extremely rare occasion) converted back to AUD on genuine Porsche boxed / stamped parts.  If buying multiple parts and time is on your side, dollar cost averaging the shipping leaves you way in front if you keep your total order inclusive of shipping around AUD 950 most of the time, and still in front  even if dinged for duties.  (note, talking genuine boxed /  stamped parts)  I have made enquiries based on recommendations from various threads in this forum here on suppliers and been disappointed with the results every time, except once on genuine 996GT3 adjustable lower control arms.

My experience has been  FCPeuro have the best international online logistics setup from a blank online cart to  the delivery to your door process at the cheapest cost.  You also get an accurate estimate on the  shipping cost on the spot once your cart is done most of the time  and the actual delivery costs does not materially change if at all and the turn around on your actual shipping cost quote is quick

I'm finding leveraging FCP's price matching policy works well if you reference Sonnen's online parts pricing to match against and  leverage fcp's shipping rates.  That said, their Porsche genuine range (excluding OEM equipment supplier parts) is restricted and nowhere near as deep as Sonnen's.(Only a handful of parts  I couldn't get a price on for over 300 part numbers, eg discontinued based on their catelogue and no replacement / superceded part comes up)

As noted, I  just had an order delivered a few days ago for about 20 part numbers covering various rubber coolant lines , heater and water line hoses for a 996.  FCPeuro cart order price was around USD 819.   Sonnen was around USD $577.  Shipping was $USD 58 via  fcpeuro so FCP priced match the $242 difference. and very easy paypal payment process.

http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com/oe-porsche/99655212700a11 

http://easy-square.com/searchresults/99655212700A11

That's really interesting stuff and I understand what you're saying, as I've lived in UK and had 2 x 987 S and a 997 S which I brought back with me - parts over there are super cheap and readily available. I didn't think to go that route for just one small part here and I was shocked that it was $900 from Porsche Willoughby and it was they who suggested I look second hand, which I did for $30. I'll take your tip and check out these os sites for any future purchases - thanks again...it's always a learning curve with a new toy!!

I checked out sonnen and easy-square online and their prices are great on a whole range of parts just as you suggest smitty - from my experience, it's also worthwhile using eBay UK and eBay Germany for parts too, as they have a much bigger range of used parts and still miles cheaper even with postage than buying here....particularly 70's/80's/90's handbooks, manuals, brochures, spare remote keys, new bonnet VIN stickers and reproduction oem decals for full restorations etc

That's really interesting stuff and I understand what you're saying, as I've lived in UK and had 2 x 987 S and a 997 S which I brought back with me - parts over there are super cheap and readily available. I didn't think to go that route for just one small part here and I was shocked that it was $900 from Porsche Willoughby and it was they who suggested I look second hand, which I did for $30. I'll take your tip and check out these os sites for any future purchases - thanks again...it's always a learning curve with a new toy!!

I checked out sonnen and easy-square online and their prices are great on a whole range of parts just as you suggest smitty - from my experience, it's also worthwhile using eBay UK and eBay Germany for parts too, as they have a much bigger range of used parts and still miles cheaper even with postage than buying here....particularly 70's/80's/90's handbooks, manuals, brochures, spare remote keys, new bonnet VIN stickers and reproduction oem decals for full restorations etc

I suspected you got a second hand bargain, but not as cheap as $30.  

Yeah, very familiar with ebay UK and ebay Germany having trolled those site for years( with a bit of  help with online german translator) to stockpile some illusive audi b5 rs4 parts at a decent price for a project I did.  But been knobbled by the purists on this forum for my 996 and scope is limited as the the only second hand parts that are likely to go on my car are (1)turbo hollow twists (I have factory sportech hallow rims), (2)a modified intake plenum from a donor car that has had some major surgery done to it, (3)rebuilt k16 turbo's from a donor 996 with major surgery done to them, 4)stock exhaust manifolds with work done on smoothing out the internal welds / external surface treatment 5) finding some elusive 996 non bucket hardback sports seats with the backs done in done in artic silver at a reasonable price and in good condition (I'll be patient and put a two year target to find those and not exactly a priority)

All original parts will be bubbled wrapped and never likely to see the light of day from me again (kept for the purists sake  at my expense so no shoulda, woulda/ coulda type thoughts) 

Archived