6.2 GT3 Suspension Questions

Pork Chops

Going to go with Kussmaul settings? Seems like the perfect "fast road/odd track day" set up. 

Yes. Or a close version of it. I've emailed RSS and will call them early my time tomorrow to discuss options! Cairns support the current spring rate not changing which is where I'm at, and some of the RSS gear I've got in mind (cheers for making me spend it!). We'll discuss wheel alignment once we know what parts we'll have that adjust. This is getting exciting. And expensive ?.

Yes. Or a close version of it. I've emailed RSS and will call them early my time tomorrow to discuss options! Cairns support the current spring rate not changing which is where I'm at, and some of the RSS gear I've got in mind (cheers for making me spend it!). We'll discuss wheel alignment once we know what parts we'll have that adjust. This is getting exciting. And expensive ?.

You're welcome, it's always fun spending other people's money :D. Interested to see what you end up with from RSS. Them and Tarret are the go to names always mentioned on rennlist from what i've seen but i've always had good customer service from RSS and their parts look cool!

You're welcome, it's always fun spending other people's money :D. Interested to see what you end up with from RSS. Them and Tarret are the go to names always mentioned on rennlist from what i've seen but i've always had good customer service from RSS and their parts look cool!

And the other thing to like is they're cheaper than Tarret. Or should I say less really expensive. But how much for the joy of overseas parts turning up? Specially shiny engineered ones that will make your life faster and funner.

And the other thing to like is they're cheaper than Tarret. Or should I say less really expensive. But how much for the joy of overseas parts turning up? Specially shiny engineered ones that will make your life faster and funner.

Y.O.L.O.

Existing springs deemed to be right by Cairns and my research over the weekend. Dampers are back and we've gone for 'Tarmac' valving. Once disassembled it became obvious all 4 needed rebuilding so lucky we did them all. 

Finally the LSD has had a tighten up and refresh.

Just waiting on the RSS parts and we're in business.

Looks the business. Front toe links as well I see? What are the advantage of those? I think that's the one suspension component in mine that is OEM still.

Dont forget transmission mount if you are doing engine mounts at some point. A mob called Funtion-First sells inserts for them. 

Y.O.L.O.

Re Tarret vs RSS cost,  cant comment on RSS, but I got a set of 996 rear toe links, sway bar drop links and a bunch of shims for the gt3 adjustable control arms to assist with dialing in / out some toe and camber some other odds and sods which pushed me past the magic $1000 duty threshold .   As Tarret make their own  parts in the US, they had AU - US free trade agreement certification that is attached to the consignment docs so no duties were applied, hence no need to roll the dice and chance your luck dodging a circa $200 invoice on top get your hands on your parts. 

Looks the business. Front toe links as well I see? What are the advantage of those? I think that's the one suspension component in mine that is OEM still.

Dont forget transmission mount if you are doing engine mounts at some point. A mob called Funtion-First sells inserts for them. 

Thanks Spiller will check out Funtion First and perhaps get one of their coolio shift knobs too.  Front toe links are firstly new, have a very precise joint (as opposed to my current 12 yo items), and they're adjustable in height so that if the car is lowered the steering arms and lower control arms can be made to be parallel and this minimises bump steer.  Could also be that I just love shiny new things too...

Below is a drop link, and at one end the boot is torn and the joint will shortly degrade.  You cannot buy the boot, so you have to buy the whole part which is $600!!!!!  Alternatively Cairns have found a part that is wrong for the car, but has the same boot which can be utilised and 'only' costs $180.  So I'm going to pay $180 for a single ball joint boot...Unless there is another option?  RSS do not sell drop links for the GT3 and their boots will not fit this part.  Any ideas before I hand over the $180?

EDIT Tarret has them for $275 USD in stock and quick ship time.  It's more than $180 but you're getting a whole lot more for the price.

EDIT again.  Elephant Racing will modify a part so they offer 180mm length, and M10 both ends.  Ready for pick up tomorrow and $275 USD.  I'd say out of RSS, Elephant and Tarret, the first 2 win my trust based on speaking to them.

These are a second set of spare rims for the GT3. The tyres were on the car when I bought it and I think if I'm not mistaken they date mid 2007 and are not serviceable anymore.

A74B0582-0F4F-47CC-8253-118C3A3E2FA2_zps

D014CB66-3766-4D98-A7CE-AF97BD94EC2C_zpsA6935BBC-BD32-41B9-B857-7E8F63DA6BE8_zps

But lucky I got these. Not new but 2013 / 14 dated and the A050 tyre so should help my causes a lot I'd think. They're mediums and I think the fronts could go soft next time.

C64D66DD-DDF8-4C49-BB64-C7AFEF931794_zps

A bit of a before and after.  Not too radical but 10mm out of the rear and 20mm out of the front ride height.  To my eye it doesn't look too slammed, but looks more purposeful

020CD4F9-8E29-469E-AAC7-874DD38A4DA4_zps

Looking good.  What workshop setup the car?  Did you need any shims on the lower control arms when you dropped the ride height and if so, how many mm's.

Looking good.  What workshop setup the car?  Did you need any shims on the lower control arms when you dropped the ride height and if so, how many mm's.

Cairns and not sure about LCA shims.  Will ask if I can remember.  Final alignment specs below for future reference of others.  Corner weighting was 280kgs exactly on each front corner and 431kgs and 465kgs on each rear.  They were very happy with the corner weighting as that's how it came up after setting the ride heights.

CB4491A6-1512-4B95-9F30-DAAA9D856B38_zps

No wonder it felt all over the place before - that front toe was way out (as was the rear by the looks of things). How long since it had an alignment?

Bought the car in 2010.  Never done an alignment.  So some time before 2010 :huh:.  True story.  That being said I suspect this wasn't a 'before' when the car came into the shop so much as what it looked like once all the new suspension was installed and before the alignment.  I'll double check!

Bought the car in 2010.  Never done an alignment.  So some time before 2010 :huh:.  True story.  That being said I suspect this wasn't a 'before' when the car came into the shop so much as what it looked like once all the new suspension was installed and before the alignment.  I'll double check!

Ah yes that would make sense! I'm curious to know if that is the case as I know these things are very alignment sensitive and prone to changing over time. I've convinced myself to have it re-done before the first track day annually, which for me is half a dozen track days between drinks. 

Archived