porsche 968

I hear many good things about the 968 - it seems to be an unknown car outside of serious porsche circles though. Does anyone have any good or bad advise in looking purchase for a useable daily drive? Im finding it hard to find any bad feedback at this point in time. Cheers.

Hi hugh

You've probably come across this already in your researches, but just in case you haven't:

The biggest potential issue with a 968 is the Variocam sprockets on the cams. They can wear/lose teeth. As far as I can tell, neglect is more of an issue in this regard than age. Good quality oil with regular changes and changing out the timing chain before it wears to the point that it starts eating the sprockets seems to be key.

Other than that, as you say, well regarded cars by those who know and completely under the radar for the rest of the world.

If you intend taking the car on track, the CS with M030 commands a premium, but isn't necessary for a road car.

James

Hi Hugh,

The 968 has benefitted from all the evolutionary changes to the 924/944 family of cars over those years. Not too many surprises. Just keep the maintenance up esp. the timing belts etc

My S2 still makes me smile. Great as a long distant tourer, DD or even a track day or two.

Good luck

rEd

The other Achilles heel on the 968 is the pinion bearing. At issue here is the fact (claim?) that an incorrect pre-load was applied during assembly at the factory, which can lead to pinion bearing wear which will show up as a speed-related whine.

Guest vas930

The other Achilles heel on the 968 is the pinion bearing. At issue here is the fact (claim?) that an incorrect pre-load was applied during assembly at the factory, which can lead to pinion bearing wear which will show up as a speed-related whine.

Nothing a set of ear plugs cant fix. B)

• 7 months later...

Cheers Mark,

I was quite interested in one as a daily however I gave in and bought new. I am always hearing good things about these cars - hopefully one day I will be able to get my hands on one.

Cheers Mark,

I was quite interested in one as a daily however I gave in and bought new. I am always hearing good things about these cars - hopefully one day I will be able to get my hands on one.

what did you end up buying?

IMG_0916_zps7efbba9f.jpg

Not quite a 968, felt the need to put on my sensible trousers and after a long hard search ended up with this mean machine! I liked it enough to buy it but I must say it makes me smile everytime I drive it (on 3 wheels!). You can drive it like you stole it all day and still only need to fill it up every 2 weeks.................alot of fun hooning around the city as thats what I am doing most of the time.

Archived