Separate Flag mirror from base - HOW?

TrevMcRev

Hey all,

I'm looking for help on how the Flag Mirror disassembles...

I know it should seem simple, and it either is, or there is some trick to it.

And if there is, I'd rather not hack it up by forcing it!

I've seen some how-tos on disassembling them but only versions with a torx bolt underneath, this one off a 924 just has a big slot in it.

Does it just unscrew? Provided I can find a big enough screwdriver...

2DAD5549-E90F-4D6E-84CD-5DA7BB49CA57_zps

That's exactly what it looks like to me ..... I would think that Porsche would have used a fork type screwdriver to undo it .....

Make Google and YouTube your best friends ..... it's amazing what you can type in and get results for ....

That's exactly what it looks like to me ..... I would think that Porsche would have used a fork type screwdriver to undo it .....

Make Google and YouTube your best friends ..... it's amazing what you can type in and get results for ....

I have googled and youtubed the shit out out of it.  Read though every result of every discussion on every porsche related forum I could find.  

Zip.

Only stuff showing those with a torx bolt.

Believe me I felt stoopid asking a question that should seem obvious or easy to find the answer... just trying to avoid making a special tool only to find that later that someone could have said, "oh yeah, that version doesn't come apart"

You might have to use a strip of metal on that one Trev.

Yeah I'll try to find/make something to fit and have a crack, fishing for someone with prior experience...before I take to it with a hacksaw!

Plan is to fit Vitaloni Sebring mirrors to the stock flag base.

Cut the rounded end of my angle grinder tool off square - with the angle grinder!

Got it!

Yes the slotted one does unscrew.  Just tight as feck after 40 years and the tension of the spring against it.

Otherwise, it is the same as the torx bolt type.

Cut the rounded end of my angle grinder tool off square - with the angle grinder!

Got it!

Yes the slotted one does unscrew.  Just tight as feck after 40 years and the tension of the spring against it.

Otherwise, it is the same as the torx bolt type.

Good thinking Trev, now you have a multi-tool;)

yeah I had seen both and it was the DWA! One that initially inspired me. Neither show how to pull it apart, but many handy tips on putting them together.

Fair call & glad you saw it.....

I am on holidays in Melbourne at present but will be attacking my spare set of flag mirrors when I get home.:D

Good luck & if I can't get it I will know who to call hey.....;)

Good luck & look forward to seeing how you go....

Archived