Brake Bleeding - needed or not?

Dreamr

Hey All,

While fiddling with all of the small bits and pieces on the 924, I pulled out the little red warning light cluster that has the handbrake and brake system warnings. There were no globes in either, so I put new ones in and have come across an issue that involves the brake light / system warning.

The way it is supposed to work is that with ignition on, the brake warning light is lit. When the car is started, it is supposed to go out letting you know that all is fine. The one in the 924 stays lit all the time ..... the handbrake light goes out with the light in the dash as it should.

After a little research, one of the remedies is to replace the 2 x brake light switches on the master cylinder. It turns out that if one or both are faulty, it will throw up the fault. I got the switches delivered during the week, and if it doesn't solve it, I'm at least one step closer ....

My question is ..... if I unscrew the brake light switches, will I get any air in the system and need to bleed it? I realise that they would have to be done one at a time, but I am just unsure if it will compromise the air tight system .... or will it be not worth worrying about.

For those of you that aren't familiar with this setup ..... there is 1 x switch on the side of the master cylinder, and one on the bottom edge of it ....

Thanks all in advance .....

The best way to ensure no air gets in is to get someone to depress the brake slowly whilst unscrewing switch and to hold pedal on the floor until you get the new one in, pump pedal a few times and rinse area thoroughly with water. 

Thanks for your response Steve ....

Just a quick newbie brake fixing question ..... if someone is pushing down on the pedal while I take out the switch, won't that force brake fluid out of the switch hole and empty the reservoir?

Thanks .....

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions guys .....

Brake switches changed, contacts cleaned, brake fluid topped up and .........

SUCCESS! .... The light now goes out after start up!

Love fixing all of the small niggly bits .. :D

Archived