that Colgate winning smile - yellowed expansion tank

michel

Got a yellowed tired looking coolant/expansion tank .. like some a 924 turbo unobtanium and the sanctioned mod is a swap to a 944 unit.... or 

you could try bleaching 

or a hyd peroxide and laundry booster cocktail.

so unless some prof sumner type here got a warning or better thought, I'm going to give this a go on the weekend.

There is this little gem 

Take note of what the man says about chlorine - you don't want a lungful of that - ask me how I know. :blink:  I suspect the discolouration on the tanks is both internal and external, some due to heat and age  and some due to chemical action and corrosion products from the cooling system. 
You'll need to remove the corrosion products before the treatment will work.  Good luck with that - as you've probably found, the tank is a bit of a maze inside...

Hopefully no news articles come up about a deadly chlorine cloud over Canberra...

Got a yellowed tired looking coolant/expansion tank .. like some a 924 turbo unobtanium and the sanctioned mod is a swap to a 944 unit.... or 

you could try bleaching 

or a hyd peroxide and laundry booster cocktail.

so unless some prof sumner type here got a warning or better thought, I'm going to give this a go on the weekend.

There is this little gem 

Michel,

I have a much better soution for you ....

Through my trawlings on the www,  I picked up a handy little tidbit ....

The expansion tank on our turbos is the same unit as on a 1981 VW Scirocco .... will set you back about $13.50 from a VW parts supplier or they are plentiful on ebay US ....

Spend the money on a new tank and save your lungs.

Hope this helps you all .....

Cool.thx @Dreamr though will still go through  with the experiment.

life at moment only allows small projects 

FYI gents chlorine gas as per the guys u tube is a way. There are less risky damaging means to do this.

Archived