Fixing loose 928 side wing mirror

Diamond911

Hi guys,

Went to get in my 928 yesterday to drive to work and found my drivers side wing mirror very loose.  Either one of the kids has brushed past it or it's just decided to come loose all on its own.

Trying to re-tighten and looking for some input please.

I took the mirror off no problems but its still hanging on the electrical cable.

IMG_5927_zpsyofqlt9i.jpg

IMG_5928_zpsemqsgpgs.jpg

There is a spring loaded bolt that appears to have come out of the thread in the wing mirror itself. Trying to compress the spring and catch the thread with the electric wires in place is proving to be challenging. And I'd prefer not to remove the door internals and the electrics if possible.

Anyone been here before with suggestions?

Not very clear from your pic... I have just recently pulled my mirror mostly apart, but left the base on the door. On mine (presume same mirror?) I can see no way to remove mirror base from the door from the outside? The mirror (glass) is a bit tricky to get out.....

I will have more of a look later as it is still partially disassembled.

Cheers

I thought that these were the one item that is similar to the 911 of the day?

• 2 months later...

This is a common problem apparently.  I discovered my SC flag mirror had gone floppy this weekend when getting the car out for the SMT  :(  The quick fix was some clear tape around the base to hold it steady.   If you're lucky and the hollow screw is just loose you can simply tighten it using long nose pliers or a large flat screwdriver.  If it's backed off all the way out of the thread in the mirror housing settle in for a longer job.  

I found this tech article for a 928 (the method is similar for Porches of the same era) with helpful pictures, the text is a bit vague.

https://www.porscherepair.us/porsche-928-repair/removing-and-installing-outside-mirror.html

Archived