997.1 TT multifunction to sports pdk paddle swap

P

Hi all,

Just like to show the swap from the 997 triangle steering wheel to flappie paddles. The mechanical swap is straightforward but the PIWIS programming was a PITA. So much so I got my own PIWIS out of frustration becuase the local dealer couldn't figure it out.

Car is a 2007 997 TT

Cheers

1CW7dg.jpg

LqvZjN.jpg

Yeah it is the porsche/mercedes tiptronic that they use. Last one before they change over to the pdk.

The tiptronic will never shift as quick as the pdk and no launch control ? but they're strong. Also can be rebuilt to shift a lot quicker than standard if you're that inclined. I'm happy with it atm.

For anyone interested in doing the same you'll need obviously the wheel and airbag, also need to buy the newer steering wheel electrical assemply that goes behind the indicator stalk. Can't remember the exact part no. off the top of my head.

The main issue is the piwis programming, when doing it you just need to make sure the steering wheel electrical assembly, gateway AND instrument cluster all know that pdk is activated. The porsche dealership (because there is basically no one fiddling with their porsches where i am) had never played with it before so were stumped. 

You can also activate the sports and launch control lights on the wheel itself but i haven't as yet been able to get the car to adequately control the lights, they just flash constantly when on...

If you're attempting the same thing and need more info with PIWIS just pm me.

The tiptronic will never shift as quick as the pdk and no launch control ? but they're strong. Also can be rebuilt to shift a lot quicker than standard if you're that inclined. I'm happy with it atm.

997.1 Auto does have launch control. Just stand on the brakes and floor the throttle. RPM will rise to a bit over 2000 and the ecu will limit boost which takes a couple of seconds. Then just step of the brakes. You can do this all day long as the torque converter is just hydraulic so no clutch to wear out. I also found the auto in sports mode to shift fast enough to give a mild head snap. While the PDK is a bit faster the head snap becomes tiring very quickly. 

Enjoy the paddles I found them to be vastly superior to the rockers. 

997.1 Auto does have launch control. Just stand on the brakes and floor the throttle. RPM will rise to a bit over 2000 and the ecu will limit boost which takes a couple of seconds. Then just step of the brakes. You can do this all day long as the torque converter is just hydraulic so no clutch to wear out. I also found the auto in sports mode to shift fast enough to give a mild head snap. While the PDK is a bit faster the head snap becomes tiring very quickly. 

Enjoy the paddles I found them to be vastly superior to the rockers. 

brake boosting yes, launch control no but maybe I'm just being picky about nomenclature ?

I've done this many a time and the car definitely moves from a standstill. Always worried about heating up the tranny too much though causing damage...

brake boosting yes, launch control no but maybe I'm just being picky about nomenclature ?

I've done this many a time and the car definitely moves from a standstill. Always worried about heating up the tranny too much though causing damage...

It is launch control as the ECU is modulating the power to control wheel slip. I used it extensively when I had my 997.1 in dry and wet conditions and on concrete and bitumen surfaces with vastly different grip levels. The ECU will shut it down if it gets to hot but this is unlikely given the transmission has an effective oil cooler.

Plain old brake boosting would see much higher boost pressure while on the brake and way too much torque given the torque converters multiplying effect. You would also expect it to just burst into wheelspin especially in the wet. Nearly all other modern autos I have driven will just shut down if you try to launch them in the same way as they will not accept full throttle.

The 997.1 turbo is the first time the auto has been faster to 100 than the manual which can only be put down to the launch control.

It is launch control as the ECU is modulating the power to control wheel slip. I used it extensively when I had my 997.1 in dry and wet conditions and on concrete and bitumen surfaces with vastly different grip levels. The ECU will shut it down if it gets to hot but this is unlikely given the transmission has an effective oil cooler.

Plain old brake boosting would see much higher boost pressure while on the brake and way too much torque given the torque converters multiplying effect. You would also expect it to just burst into wheelspin especially in the wet. Nearly all other modern autos I have driven will just shut down if you try to launch them in the same way as they will not accept full throttle.

The 997.1 turbo is the first time the auto has been faster to 100 than the manual which can only be put down to the launch control.

Learn something new everyday. I've gone through the US forums and never seen anyone say anything to the equivalent, all just about brake boosting.

Brake boosting is the simplest way an auto can build up some boost but in this case the ECU is in control of how much and once you step off the brake the ECU takes over and limits wheel spin which is really what launch control is all about and once full clutch/converter engaugement is reached it is then just a traction control system. The PDK because it can disengage the clutch  allows higher RPM and a really retarded ignition to build some boost. It uses minimal clutch drag as that is bad for the clutch unlike the torque converter that just warms up a bit. The torque converter also engauges much more smoothly without the little wheel chirp the PDK gives before it really gets going. I would say the initial movement using the torque converter is much better than the PDK clutch engagement. 

I have had the PDK just burst into a 4wheel burnout when launching but the auto in the .1 never got it wrong.

Archived