A/C Retrofit - 968

Cam Arnott

I'm curious to know how hard it might be to retrofit air conditioning to a 968?

Can anyone shed any light on the degree of difficulty with this? Can it be done like a factory installation using the existing HVAC?

Thanks for any assistance.

Cam

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with Bruce Buchanan about this today who was very helpful.

To cut a long story short you need a RHD donor car and about $10K to do the job factory style for a 968.

I'd imagine a 944 would be very much the same....

That should read about $10,000 including the 2nd hand parts from the donor car ( if you buy the donor Super Cheap ) and you spend the time dismantling , if the donor parts still work and do not leak ( GAS) & electrically work after all these years , so the variation on pricing will vary from $7,000 through to $15,000 , all depends on a 100 or so stars aligning & you're Gods are looking after you in buying a bunch of 25 to 30 year old A/C components that are quite often nearly stuffed before removal to very stuffed after removal from the donor car

Inevitably each case will be different & hence the amount of " New"  components / parts that will be needed as the build goes on will vary greatly & to what level does the owner is happy to spend to get closer to perfection

Perfection is keeping an automotive A/C system working perfectly without any A/C gas ( Re-Gas) needed even after 5 or 6 years later & everything electrical is still working perfectly 5 or 6 years later

Remember 2nd hand electrical components that are already  25 + years old are usually at the end of their lives or Extremely close to it and or become intermittent in operation

Brand new A/C components always work better than 2nd hand stuff

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Archived