997 Suspension Upgrade

VinnieChase

Hi Guys, 

Need some advice on suspension upgrade for my 997 C2S with PASM.

I am tossing between Bilstein B16 Damptronic & Ohlins RoadnTrack with pasm cancellation kit

Also planning to replace all the bushings with Powerflex Polyurethane items. Being reading some good review's on these bushings from EVO fast fleet Nick Trott's SC and Jethro Bovington's 996 Carrera. https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/products/997+inc.+Turbo+-2851/1.html 

Anyone here tried these upgrades before?

Cheers,
Vinnie

Steve, was there an improvement on ride quality in day to day driving? What suspension setup have you got on your car?

Just the stock  PASM with the DSC. Normal driving doesn`t seem that much different, but you can adjust it to make it softer if you want, I haven`t bothered as mine only goes out to play. The main difference is that the car now sits totally flat through corners and under brakes, but the suspension still responds to bumps without upsetting the car at all, even in sport mode which I felt was pretty unusable except on totally smooth surfaces. Std controller on soft allowed the the car to pitch and dive too much and in sport mode the car would just bounce between bumps on these goat tracks we call roads.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this up from the dead..

Im in similar shoes at the moment. The previous owner had installed some Gemballa springs (quiet hard). The factory Bilsteins have trouble controlling them in default PASM mode. PASM sports is too much for the street.

I am leaning towards getting a set of Ohlins and dropping PASM. 

This TPC module sounds great, but ideally would like to try something like that out. Never really put much thought into it.

23 hours ago, 09ELF said:

Sorry to bring this up from the dead..

Im in similar shoes at the moment. The previous owner had installed some Gemballa springs (quiet hard). The factory Bilsteins have trouble controlling them in default PASM mode. PASM sports is too much for the street.

I am leaning towards getting a set of Ohlins and dropping PASM. 

This TPC module sounds great, but ideally would like to try something like that out. Never really put much thought into it.

I added the DSC Module earlier this year before doing any hardware upgrades so to speak, and it has been a good move, mine is a GT3 so its shit on the road anyway, but much better to drive on the limit now (track), the thing to consider is that the stock PASM only has narrow operating parameters in either mode for the damper stiffness, the DSC Sport module operates on a wider window and subject to whether you have 7.1 or 7.2  will vary your end result as the 7.1 only has 2 axis input from factory, the 7.2 has 3 axis input so I'd imagine the change is not as drastic as it is in the 7.1 when you add the 3 axis input. 

The next step up is tractive dampers that will work with the DSC PASM controller for me, as to retain the active suspension. 

Here is the explanation from TPC on the difference between OEM PASM programming and theirs. 

OEM:
PASM Normal mode, 20-25%
PASM Sport mode, 85-90%
PASM has no access to the percentage in between its two modes.

DSC Sport:
DSC Normal mode, 10-100% based on inputs such as speed, g-force, and brake line pressure.
DSC Sport mode, 20-100% based on inputs such as speed, g-force, and brake line pressure.

Either DSC mode can be used for track since the inputs on track are in the higher ranges.
DSC Normal mode on track will feel slightly firmer during initial turn-in since its base value is 10% less than in Sport mode.
The 10% less initial stiffness is good for street comfort, and for wet/damp track.

Tom Chan is the best to talk to a TPC Racing - tchan@tpcracing.net 

Hope that helps.

Archived