A050 Medium or Soft Compound ?

I'm going to pick up a set of A050 tyres this week. I'd be interested to hear about peoples experience with the different compounds - primarily around life of the soft compared to the medium compound. My 951 is about 1150kg empty. 235/40R18 & 295/30R18. The medium A050's are going to outclass my 5 year old MPSC's so the medium A050 compound will still be a step up from the traction levels I've had available lately.

Thanks in advance

I'm just finishing up a set of softs that came with my car, can't comment on full life but I did about 35 laps on what I would probably guess to be around 30-35% tread. I'm going to replace them with Hankook Z221s as I find you can't drive the A050s too aggressively otherwise you end up scalloping the tyre, which I have done on many occasions with A050s, probably just too ham-fisted. 

Yep they do go away but it's not like they drop off a cliff...if you're actually racing and not just trying to set a fast time the mediums might be better, but your car only weighs 1150kg so you might get away with a full session on those sizes.

Bill's shop is only around the corner from me so I went around and had a chat with him today. It was a good discussion and from that discussion it is clear that mediums are the way to go for my driving plans. His advice is (not surprisingly) consistent with your experience Kammo, aka soft compound is good for applications where the car will only do a few laps (aka time attack) and mediums are the way to go for events where the car will do >5 laps. I'm not really into the 3 lap time attack concept and even short session supersprints don't really float my boat so I'm going with mediums which will take a few laps to come up to temperature but will be able to retain traction for 15-20 mins without going off.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Kelly Anne 

I would also consider the ambient temperature you intend to run them in. Below 10C I would look at softs and 10 to 25 mediums. For 25 and over I would use Z221 Medium which would be closer to an 050 hard if you could get them. 

I would also consider the ambient temperature you intend to run them in. Below 10C I would look at softs and 10 to 25 mediums. For 25 and over I would use Z221 Medium which would be closer to an 050 hard if you could get them. 

Thanks Red, I keep hearing good things about the z221s also.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The A050s go on today.

Archived