Catalytic converters

Gsaps

Catalytic converters were introduced into Australia in 1986 with the arrival of unleaded fuel. I think may be an question for your local road worthy/ testing place? Odd that a US car does not have them as they have been a requirement there for much longer.

Thanks ANF, all I could find online is that it has to meet the emissions standards for the year of manufacture (which is 84) so this would predate the intro of the catalytic converter in Australia (if it's 86 as you say) so possibly it'd be ok

i might try ringing the RMS but always feel I'll end up getting the runaround from them 

thanks for your reply

Hi mate even if they require you to have one you can pick up cheap cats that will pass inspection and then you take it of after,,,, no one will ever know especially on an air cooled car the average punter can not tell the difference between a 74 and an 89 ........:D

Australian delivered '84's had nothing (231hp) , '85's just added an air pump (still 231hp) , '86's didn't have air pumps but received a cat, a significant detune and lower compression with only 91 RON unleaded available (207hp) and '87 to '89's were less detuned (217hp) when 95 RON became available so I reckon you'll sneak your '84 through with no change to the engine.

Archived