Advise for 987.2

Hi all,

New poster here. I have never owned a Porsche before. I am considering a 987.2, have done some reading on it to ensure the major issues (IMS, bore etc.) stopped with the 987.1 but have more questions about it.

Truth be told, I am having a hard time deciding between the recently released MX5 RF Blacktop version and this.

At the moment I am looking at manual 987.2 2.9L which seems to be more common in the used market compared to 3.4L S version. I can't seem to find a manual 3.4L version with reasonable mileage at the right price online.

Are there any differences between a 2009 and 2011 built?

Would a price difference of ~$10k for a MY2009 built be worth it over a MY2011 if both have similar mileage of sub 40k? Does the low mileage raise any red flag or anything I should be aware of for this car?

Are there any other significant or minor concerns with 987.2 since the major issues with the 987.1?

2.9L owners, what are your experiences with this car? Do you wish you had gone for the 3.4L instead?

Last of all, does the Porsche dealership 'approved' pre-owned car makes it worthwhile getting it from a dealership rather than private seller for piece mind?

Thanks for your help!

Mmm... Mazda or Porsche... I think take the Porsche! (You are really not sure!?)

Porsche are really great cars, more $ to maintain but I think all here would agree it's well worth it!

Good thing with Porsche aproved is warranty, a bit of piece of mind with I your purchase.

join the club mate!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2.9l 987.2 and I really like it. I've never driven the 3.4 but no doubt it's better-er. But the 2.9 is a sweet donk and fast enough to make the drive enjoyable and if the right car is available in manual then why not. I was hoping for a 3.4 but as it had to be manual I just bought the first good car that came up. My advice is never drive a 3.4 and you'll be happy with a 2.9.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived