Ignition Switch Will Not Turn

T-Man

Hi all.

I've had a some trouble of late with the key not turning in the ignition. It really got bad about 4 weeks ago when the key would not turn regardless of how many attempts. Sprayed with lock spray and its been great since. Well up until Saturday when Nick987 and I were in Healsville and I went to start the car after a coffee break. NO GO!!!!! Just so happens I carry a can of lock lube in the trunk. A couple of squirts and jiggling and we are fired up. But it is very erratic.

Now before I go spending about $800 on a new lock keyed to my car from Porsche, I'm thinking ill pull it out and take it to an automotive locksmith. If there is such a thing. If not, a regular high skilled locksmith will suffice.

Anyone have any recommendations in Melbourne please.

I know a guy from Footscray that can get any lock out of any car.

I'll ask him to give you a hand when he gets out in a month or so.

I tried that guy on the last car I had!

Shame he can't pick the lock of his cell!

Hi Theo,

I had a similar problem a while back. Graphite powder in the lock did the trick. It fills up any gaps from wear and the lock moves very smoothly now.

Harv.j

Thanks Harvs. Been there already.

Used my contortionist skills to remove the electronic switch behind the ignition lock

Now that was a bi*ch of a job. Seemed to free up the lock heaps. May replace the switch and spray lube the hell out of the barrel.

Update.

After many four letter words I finally managed to remove the electrical switch out from behind the ignition lock.

Blew the ignition out with heaps of compressed air after lubing it profusely with lock lube.

Key now turns quite nicely but the electrical switch felt a bit notchy so I proceeded to open it up with the view of cleaning and lubing the internals.

It is now in pieces on my workbench never to become one again!!!!!!!!

New switch on order tomorrow!

Now all I have to do is put it in again. I've run out of four letter words.

Archived