PPI for a 997-1 bore scope cost?

keg_guts

Been looking at the prices of some 997 -1's of late (mainly the 3.8), still thinking about rationalising my car ownership and was wondering if anyone has had a PPI done recently?

As a lot of the cars I've been looking at are between the 60 - 100k mark.

Have you included bore scoping? If so what's the approx cost and is it worth considering?

steve

Hi Steve

I'm also in the market for a 997.1S and had a car PPI'd last week. The PPI was $450 and the bore scope $200 on top of that. Another place quoted me $600 for PPI plus another $520 for bore scope! Both Melbourne. Whether it's worth doing or not, just comes down to peace of mind.

The first car didn't work out (though bores were fine) so I'm having a second car PPI'd next week, fingers crossed this one goes through.

Richard

Looking up on eBay aus

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-USB-OTG-Endoscope-Inspection-Camera-Waterproof-Borescope-2m-7mm-Snake-Scope/322337499207?epid=902626381&hash=item4b0ccfe847%3Ag%3AJXoAAOSwqrtWp1YH

Has anyone used one of these, or similar, for a bore scope?  for $23

before a PPI;  attach to your phone, record it & email it to a PFA mate for comment.

Good luck in your searches

Hi Steve

I'm also in the market for a 997.1S and had a car PPI'd last week. The PPI was $450 and the bore scope $200 on top of that. Another place quoted me $600 for PPI plus another $520 for bore scope! Both Melbourne. Whether it's worth doing or not, just comes down to peace of mind.

The first car didn't work out (though bores were fine) so I'm having a second car PPI'd next week, fingers crossed this one goes through.

Richard

Big difference, I'm is Sydney so it would be Autohaus or similar.

Hard to tell with all the info out there if bore scoring is a bit of a lottery with how the car is driven or just a matter of time?

I just purchased a 997s 05 model.

i never bothered with a PPI, as the car i purchased had an exceptional history and all the maintenance records.

All i done was contact the last porsche centre that the service was conducted, and they gave me the all clear.

its a very rare occurrence for the bores to be damaged, or IMS problems.. 

I was also told, that if the car is driven properly and not treated like a baby, the engine will run almost forever..i don't mistreat my ride, but i certainly make sure i rev it plenty and it gets the oil to ALL of the engine. 

some guys in the USA have over 200,000 miles on their cars and never had any issues. 

all i can recommend is that the car your looking at has a great service record. 

When you do decide on the right car, especially if your buying an S model, is that you will love every minute of your time behind the wheel. they are fantastic cars!!

I'm buying an MY08 997S without it getting bore-scoped. Yikes!

Engine sounded OK and there was no sign of greasy tail pipes.

I talked to a tech at Weltmeister about the problem and he didn't seem to recall any occurrences of it.

He did quote the IMS problem for earlier models, though. 

Hi Steve

Richard

Just interested if you could disclose the reason why the first one didn't work out?

Just interested if you could disclose the reason why the first one didn't work out?

Nothing major, just an accumulation of numerous things that needed to be put right / would have required repairs. If the price had been keen then maybe we could have worked something out, but I was being asked to pay top dollar.

With hindsight, lucky I passed on that one as I've struck gold with the second car!

Archived