944 20 valve turbo

brian in buddina

Its been discussed on this forum before, the 944 with an Audi 20 valve turbo. Now its a new topic on the Rennlist forum with a very brief article. https://rennlist.com/how-tos/slideshows/swapping-a-20v-turbocharged-1-8t-vw-audi-engine-into-a-944-517427#how-does-it-fit

an installation photo in left hand drive: https://imgur.com/gallery/VYBjN

Has anyone here attempted the conversion in a right hand drive? Or aware of a UK conversion?

So, Brian - I see you're now Canaus on RL...  Why not BiB?

The VW 20V engine into the 944 seems like a great conversion, probably fraught with issues because:

1) RHD may be a problem

2) jumping through the hoops for an engine conversion may be painful..

There's another 20V 944 thread on RL, but it's 20V not because of 5 V/cylinder, bit 4V/cyl and 5 cylinders.  Yes - effectively the Audi TT RS engine.  Here's the thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/803341-vw-audi-07k-2-5l-20v-i5-swap-thread.html

Rob

The audi i5 swap is something i'd love to do, not to my car but my red 924.

But swaping a 1.8L engine into a 944.. i wouldn't bother. With the money you spend buying the motor, doing the mods to make it work, them modding the engine with bigger turbo ect to make more power... I'd rather spend it on working the 944 turbo block. 350 is easily achievable with swapping out a turbo, new exhaust, wastegate and something like the M-Tune. Cost you way less. You can most definitely get over 400hp out of these 2.5L blocks..

I see you have a 944s. if it's the 16v version, then damn you've got the 16v advantage... build the bottom end, get a 944 turbo gearbox and put some boost into it. Can't remember what you do with the ECU, i think you use a 944 turbo one.

If you've got the 2.7L 8v version. again work the bottom end and boost it... same as above. you've got a better flowing head already as the 2.7L head has bigger valves and ports. 

All cheaper alternatives vs going 1.8L 

The audi i5 swap is something i'd love to do, not to my car but my red 924.

But swaping a 1.8L engine into a 944.. i wouldn't bother. With the money you spend buying the motor, doing the mods to make it work, them modding the engine with bigger turbo ect to make more power... I'd rather spend it on working the 944 turbo block. 350 is easily achievable with swapping out a turbo, new exhaust, wastegate and something like the M-Tune. Cost you way less. You can most definitely get over 400hp out of these 2.5L blocks..

I see you have a 944s. if it's the 16v version, then damn you've got the 16v advantage... build the bottom end, get a 944 turbo gearbox and put some boost into it. Can't remember what you do with the ECU, i think you use a 944 turbo one.

If you've got the 2.7L 8v version. again work the bottom end and boost it... same as above. you've got a better flowing head already as the 2.7L head has bigger valves and ports. 

All cheaper alternatives vs going 1.8L 

Agreed, I think a lot of people under estimate the potential of a nicely worked 951 engine. You can get a good amount of power with a very meaty torque curve for a lot less money than any engine swap.

That said, the inline 5 is one of my favorite swaps. This guy on you tube has done a very, very nice job with his.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNWSvCecoL3iBKgC-35S2A

I imagine for a RHD build, you would need a high mount/front mount turbo and custom manifold to clear the steering shaft.

Agreed, I think a lot of people under estimate the potential of a nicely worked 951 engine. You can get a good amount of power with a very meaty torque curve for a lot less money than any engine swap.

That said, the inline 5 is one of my favorite swaps. This guy on you tube has done a very, very nice job with his.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNWSvCecoL3iBKgC-35S2A

I imagine for a RHD build, you would need a high mount/front mount turbo and custom manifold to clear the steering shaft.

Dude, you have no idea how much i want to do the i5 swap! i have a spare 924 to put one in now LOL 

Rennlister alxdgr8 in Washington state has been working on his conversion since March 2014 & is still in progress. A commenter on his thread mentioned that the 20valve motor was light on bottom end torque???

Its more satisfying to see & hear the Swed driving his car, very nice work.

It all looks possible but certainly not a simple bolt in job. Lots of things to sort out and skills required. Its become obvious that the solution is a late model 951. With the original motor, well sorted and maintained is the answer. I heard a pristine one just sold...

Still would be interested in hearing of a 20V right hand drive conversion.

Archived