Prospective Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S Buyer

BLKPNY

Hi Guys, thanks for letting me join. I'm starting to look for a Cayenne Turbo, potentially the S. We are looking for something that is very fast, (faster, the better). We are looking at the cheaper end of the market, so usually with 150K's or more on the clock. 

We think we've narrowed it down to an early 4.8 Turbo, or the 4.8 Turbo S. Is it worth the extra for the Turbo S? I am wondering if the extra power is just a little more boost and a tune? Or are there substantial differences?

Also, over the years of the early 4.8's, are there Model Year differences? Like DRL's etc? Electric Tailgate etc? Other useful features introduced?

Thanks for your time, Steph

• 1 year later...

How did you go? I notice it's been a while and no one responded. I'm in the same boat, about to buy my first Porsche. I'm looking at a Cayenne, around a 2004 model or $15k. Is there anything I should look out for? 

• 1 month later...

Jumping in on this thread as looking for a 2003 - 2006 Turbo around 100,000 klms.

Seriously just the coolant pipes to worry about on a 15yr old plus car? That's great news.

I also heard brakes take a beating, but that doesn't really scare me.

Anyone got an idea of general maintenance costs / servicing costs?

What about electrical systems and air suspension etc? Terrified of getting a car with engine warning lights and stuff coming on constantly as with my wife Q5 ......

.... bear in mind the newest car I've owned is my '78 Ford F100 daily driver.

Brakes have been fine on mine.  I bought it as a daily in 2011? with 56k on it, its now done 165k as it doesn't get as much use.

The only two issue its had in the entire time apart was one of the door entries for the keyless entry and drive went which kept draining the battery.  This took a fair bit of labour cost to track down.

The other was that the water pump from memory went on it and it was leaking fluid.  I can tell you that you won't kill the engine as I urgently had to get somewhere in mine so was of the view it was either going to get me where I had to go or I was going to run it till it stop and then leg it to where I needed to be.  I reckon I ran it for 25-30 minutes with the water temp out of the normal operating range.  It ended up tripping the oil temp out of range also (so essentially everything was flashing red).  Got me where I needed to go.  Once parked it wouldn't start as I was hoping to get it somewhere to have it towed to Porsche.  Tow truck dragged it on the flat bed as it wouldn't start after I turned it off.

Long story short, when it arrived at Porsche it would start, they drove it off the truck.  Diagnosed water pump issue, replaced it and job done.  No engine issues or anything.  I was gobsmacked as I did say to the SA who worked there at the time who's a mate that I figured they'd just trucked in an expensive piece of immoveable art as I figured  it needed a new engine I didn't want it back, to his credit he did say upfront he didn't reckon it would be an issue (this was before they worked on it).  That must have been 3 3 1/2 years ago now.

A good alignment will see you get about 40k out of a set of rears. I think I've only down both front and rear brakes once in 7 years, it may have had a set of front rotors at some point half way in that time but I can't really remember. 

Air suspension isn't really an issue, it also uses the same system as in the Touareg so if there's an issue buy the VW module.  

Service costs Porsche have done all the annual services, I can't remember off hand how much they are but I guess its like $600-700 for a basic and somewhere around  $1500 maybe for major, could be more with spark plugs etc.  I wouldn't go off this, I'd either ring Porsche or PR Tech (or whoever else you'd use) and ask.

• 3 months later...

Hey all, I've started my search for a cayenne. Unfortunately there aren't as many in VIC as NSW though :(

Looking at the GTS or the turbo around 2007-2009.

Not new to P cars so I know the drill with servicing and parts etc.

Although the prices in VIC seem higher than in NSW too. 

Archived