1982 928 base what brakes?

foxint

Hi Guys

Just wondering if any local knows if the 1982 928 4.5 base model had S brakes. I think...I want to upgrade the brakes and seems like the overseas information has a black hole for 1982 Aust delivered cars. There is a lot about upgrading the S to S4 and GST and about the earlier models...but the 1982 is a little lacking.

It has been suggested that the 1983 ROW (that I understand is the Aust Delivered) has S-brakes. If so it opens a very expensive upgrade path...

Any suggestions?

Dan

If the said 4.5L 928 ( NON S ) has  a "C" in the Vin number =  82 model year , then it came standard with the 4.7L 928S front brake calipers , discs & pads etc , these were used up to & including the 1985 year model 928S   & Yes they are all single piston brake calipers

Note } The Non S ( 4.5L  928 )  received the larger 4.7L S front brakes from near the end of the 1981 year model

Note 2 } At the end of the 1982 model year the 4.5L 928 was discontinued , meaning in 1983 there was only the 4.7L 928S

From model year 1986 ( G )   the 928S had the larger 4 Piston Brembo brake calipers and larger discs to suite on the front & the rear had smaller Brembo 4 piston calipers on the rear

Regards
Bruce Buchanan   
Buchanan Automotive

If the overseas you are talking about is the US be careful, the US models were quite different to the ROW models in the early cars...... Of late I have been buying parts locally in Aus and have been surprised by most of the prices - try BWA in Sydney.

Measure the brake disc diameter?

If the said 4.5L 928 has  a "C" in the Vin number =  82 model year , then it came standard with the 4.7L 928S front brake calipers , discs & pads etc , these were used up to & including the 1985 year model 928S   & Yes they are all single piston brake calipers

From model year 1986 ( G )  these had the larger 4 Piston Brembo brake calipers front & rear

Regards
Bruce Buchanan   
Buchanan Automotive

Not to disagree with what you are saying Bruce, but I thought only the US cars of that year had the S brakes? Happy to be properly informed, do you know the diameter diff from the 4.5 to 4.7 - will the S brakes fit if the 4.5 has 15inch wheels....

Hi ANF , what on earth gave you that impression , I remember when the S front brakes first appeared on the 4.5L 928 here in Australia when I was at the Porsche dealer because it made such a difference to how these cars pulled up , meaning they stopped WAY WAY better particularly if the said 928 was an auto & boy oh boy did we receive complaints about the standard 1978,1979 & 1980 4.5L brake "LACK" of performance particularly if the 928 4.5L was an auto , they would barely pull up at all , when the 4.7L S  brakes were installed on the 928 4.5L as standard it made a world of difference

And yes the 4.7L S brakes fit inside the standard 15" dia wheels , that's how the" standard" 928 4,5L 1982 year model was sold and we have ( 4 ) 1982 year model 928 cars that we look after , 3 of them still have their standard 15" dia wheels & being 1982 they have the 4.7L front brakes

In fact the 928S front brakes ( meaning the 4.7L S brakes ) were installed on the 4.5L 928 as standard by Porsche even earlier than I remembered , according to the PET all of the 1981 year model 4.5L 928 received them as well & all 4.5L standard 928 cares received as standard the 15" dia telephone wheels

So it looks like all the 1981 & all the 1982 year models received them ( meaning the 4.7L S front brakes )

Note } Do not confuse the single piston 4.7L 928S front brakes with the MUCH more powerful Brembo 4 piston brakes fitted from 1986

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

Something I read Bruce as "standard" for that year. Porsche kept changing/ updating things so I guess there is no standard for each year

Thanks

Foxint, which brakes do you want to fit? As Tazzie said the standard S brakes are very good!

When Porsche installs something and it mentions on the PET as from a VIN number on-wards( with no other qualifications on the PET) , then that's it , from that VIN number its standard

So in the case of the 4.5L 928 receiving the 4.7L 928S front brakes from 1981year model  , then it means every 928 4.5L receives it from the VIN numbers , so one has to say the front brakes were most defiantly Standard , because Porsche did not fit the silly little (early) front brakes ever again on this model , so that sounds standard to me

Where as on some other Porsche models , like the 1990 & 1991 944S2 & the standard 968  for example , Porsche fitted as standard small front & rear Brembo 4 piston brake calipers & the same small rear pads on the front ( very average to below average brake performance ) and Porsche knew it , so they listed  " as an option " for the same car a M030 option , which was in essence the 944TurboS suspension & the Turbo S front brakes ( 928S4 front brakes ) , boy did that fix the brake performance issue with the 944S2 , but its listed on the PET as an option only & NOT standard  

Regards
Bruce B 

Archived