928 S4 minor service and knocking sound

928_VIC

Hi all,

I am planning to change oil on my  928 S4 this weekend.

I am planning to take it to a Porsche mechanic to go over everything but I can still do some things myself before I take it there.

Previous owner had it sitting around for last 4-5 months and oil hasn't been changed over a year ago (it was not driven that much)

Upon a cold start there is a clicking noise, it sounds like coming from lifter /lifters?

It is not injectors.

After 8 min, as it warms up , it goes away.   Oil used on last service was high in zinc 20w-50.

I've been reading that this could be a common thing on 928's when thicker oil is used and car has not been driven.

I will be using 20W- 60 Penrite oil , which is high in Zinc, also Porsche dealers sell oil filters for only $29.

I believe 8.5 L is what I need to replace?

Can anyone suggest if it is ok to use engine flush on these engines?

Can anyone shed their wisdom on this type of clicking noise?

What I can read on the net is that an oil change and hard drive should fix this.

Cheers

Hi  928_VIC,

Sounds like lifters sticking a bit, sometimes a good “Italian tune up” does the trick after a the correct oils are replaced. Not to so sure of engine flushes though. 

Tune into “ landshark@yahoogroups.com” that is often a good source to access a brains trust of reliable 928 info and advice. Your on the right track though, A High Zinc component is of paramount importance in our “last century cars” (as they are referred to! )

Cheers Scott

Thanks guys.

Yes , I spoke to Bruce , he is the one who advised me on importance of zinc.

The guy is a legend, very helpful.

I will get it changed and see how it goes.

"Italian tune up" good one, made me laugh :)

The guy that had it before me, looked after it the best he could, but he didn't know much about cars and once he lost his business,

car was not driven much.

What I can understand, these cars don't like being parked, they need to be pushed a bit to work better.

Even though I never had a Porsche, I am a car guy and will take a much better care of it, I will start with an oil change :)

I use the Penrite engine flush in all my cars, 928 included, as it is made by them I am under the presumption that it does good and not harm, you only need run the engine for a few minutes.

Sounds like you are on the right track and if the "ticking" continues after the oil change I would suggest to look into it further.

Sitting for 4 to 5 months should not be too bad, when they sit for years is not good, ask me...... :blink:

Archived