Ïnteresting" Porsche people ...

We all know one or two who even for tragics like us are a bit off the wall so I thought I'd start a thread with this story and see if anyone has others they can share.

So ....

Whilst working on my 930 today, my mate calls me up and tells me about a 1975 F150 beaver tail that he's looking at for me.  460 ci and a C6 ... nice.

Anyway, he started life a couple of decades ago as a Porsche parts manager and then service manager (and then was the GM of the dealership).

He prides himself on being able to quote part numbers and 98% of the time, gets them right.  Have tested him on 73 Targa door rubbers, Carrera MFI injectors, RH rear tail light on 72S.  Gets them each time.

Today I tried him out again.  Was under the back of the 930 and thought HA! 

"Tez, what's the part number of the air filter element of a 1981 930""  He pauses for a couple of seconds and then quotes it.

WRONG! I shout.  I then read off a part number ...

"Well dickhead", he says.  "That's the part number for the airbox, not the filter!!

I'll never doubt him again ...

7 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

We all know one or two who even for tragics like us are a bit off the wall so I thought I'd start a thread with this story and see if anyone has others they can share.

He prides himself on being able to quote part numbers and 98% of the time, gets them right.  Have tested him on 73 Targa door rubbers, Carrera MFI injectors, RH rear tail light on 72S.  Gets them each time.

Today I tried him out again.  Was under the back of the 930 and thought HA! 

"Tez, what's the part number of the air filter element of a 1981 930""  He pauses for a couple of seconds and then quotes it.

You have just reminded me of a forgotten memory.

There was a guy like that that managed the Spare Parts of Reagan Motors in Melbourne when they dealt in Peugeots, NSU R080s & Citroens.

Like your mate he had a photographic memory  BUT he had the worst stutter I have ever experienced.

You knew that he had the answer but he couldnt say it quickly - it was so painful trying to buy stuff quickly on a Saturday morning before they closed at 12:00 and there was a few people ahead of you. I think I am getting PTSD just remembering it.

Archived