911 3.2

Dom

I'm new at this, love the site. Looking to purchase my 1st 911 (been dreaming since I was a kid). Have seen a silver 1988 3.2 with 183kms, looks good to my inexperienced eye. What should I pay for it? Thanks

It's like everyone stopped buying 3.2's about a year ago when their value peaked.  

At that time $115 to 120k was the going price for the car you describe (the one on Carsales I guess) from a dealer.  However the seller's all still seem to think those heady days are still here and don't seem to have awoken to the fact no-ones buying at those prices anymore.

This market confusion of course doesn't help you at all if you're in the market for a sensibly priced car to buy right now.  The SC's on the other hand appear to have had their correction and there seems to be some changing hands so that might be a better sandpit to play in for the time being.

Yeah, I know, not a 3.2 but.......  

8 minutes ago, Peter M said:

It's like everyone stopped buying 3.2's about a year ago when their value peaked.  

At that time $115 to 120k was the going price for the car you describe (the one on Carsales I guess) from a dealer.  However the seller's all still seem to think those heady days are still here and don't seem to have awoken to the fact no-ones buying at those prices anymore.

This market confusion of course doesn't help you at all if you're in the market for a sensibly priced car to buy right now.  The SC's on the other hand appear to have had their correction and there seems to be some changing hands so that might be a better sandpit to play in for the time being.

Yeah, I know, not a 3.2 but.......  

Thanks for replying Peter. Correct, dealer has it. It has been sitting there for about 8 weeks and they are firm on price. 

I'm going back into the dealer on Monday, guess I'll see how I go. Love it but don't want to pay top dollar.....

Thanks again

Dom,

I looked at that car a bit more closely and it is unusual in that everything appears to be in excellent order, hasn't been fiddled with and appears to not require any attention. Cars of this standard do command a market premium as the majority don't present as well and do have a list of deferred maintenance waiting for the new owner to fork out for.  It is certainly one of the best on Carsales.  On that basis I was maybe $10k or so light on in my original estimate.

What's it worth now?

Sorry, I still don't know as no-one seems to be buying!

However if you've always wanted one, intend to keep it for at least a few years and we're all not getting any younger, I wouldn't agonise to much and make it known that you are keen to negotiate by flashing some cash for the deposit.

Plus we need you to re-establish the market so we all know what they're worth now!

Alternatives:  The Targa's are much cheaper but expect to spend some cash getting them up to standard as they all generally seem very neglected.  Yeah, I know, they are not a coupe like the one on your teenage bedroom wall.... 

Hi Dom,

The same dealer had my first car up for sale last year it was a '85 911.

It was still factory correct car for its age wit an amazing history, maybe its just one of those things, it it falls into the right hands and they just want to keep it original as possible it will stay that way.

Is that price that there holding with on roads or on top of??

14 hours ago, Dreamr said:

And??? ..... :cool07:

I'll see how I go tomorrow...

4 hours ago, Peter 996 said:

Hi Dom,

The same dealer had my first car up for sale last year it was a '85 911.

It was still factory correct car for its age wit an amazing history, maybe its just one of those things, it it falls into the right hands and they just want to keep it original as possible it will stay that way.

Is that price that there holding with on roads or on top of??

Plus roads.... It feels just that bit too much. I like it although still undecided. Tomorrow is D day!

4 hours ago, Peter 996 said:

Hi Dom, 88 is a desirable year due to the G50 gearbox also at the end of the G series production. Great colour choice, Silver IMHO is the best colour for a G series as it shows all the shapes and curves.

Pricing wise it needs to be all original with full history inc books, Australian delivery, matching numbers no rust with everything in pretty good condition then the price is about right. I would think $120K is spot on however as its a dealer car you'll always pay a little more, is there GST on top ? The final price comes down to how much you WANT it. It looks a nice car, something I would like especially as its silver.

Are the wheels 6 & 7 or 7 & 8 ?     7 & 8 would be a bonus as they fill the guards however not stock, I wander is it worth more or less with non stock wheel sizes ? interesting. 

Obviously get a thorough PPI done.  If you want to be more certain run it around to a known decent panel shop, those guys can pick up wobbles in panels most of us will never see, those wobbles tell stories about the history, its over the top but your going to be paying good money.

Good luck with the negotiations if you get to that, looks a great car.

On 1/21/2018 at 1:57 PM, Dom said:

I'll see how I go tomorrow...

Plus roads.... It feels just that bit too much. I like it although still undecided. Tomorrow is D day!

Buy it unregistered. No on road costs (stamp duty etc). Then put it on club plates. RWC + $75.00

Good stuff Dom!

Dont be surprised if there are a few things listed in the PPI for possible attention. It's the job of the inspector to pick up everything even if it's of no practical consequence.  When you are talking 30 year old vehicles that have travelled over 100,000km there is always something.  My advice is not to panic and just work through one by one questioning the significance to you and to think if it is enough to trigger a renegotiation of the deal.

Hi Dom, I'm not a huge poster on here but I've had a 3.2 for about ten years now and can't imagine ever parting with it. It's worth going through the pain of finding a good example - it took me almost a year to find one that hadn't been bent/altered and when I did I jumped on it, although thinking I'd paid way too much. (Almost $50K!) Moral is, if it's good, buy it, which it looks like you've done. There's always a few little things to be corrected but if you've got a good straight car in front of you don't hesitate, you'll love it. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, scottn said:

Hi Dom, I'm not a huge poster on here but I've had a 3.2 for about ten years now and can't imagine ever parting with it. It's worth going through the pain of finding a good example - it took me almost a year to find one that hadn't been bent/altered and when I did I jumped on it, although thinking I'd paid way too much. (Almost $50K!) Moral is, if it's good, buy it, which it looks like you've done. There's always a few little things to be corrected but if you've got a good straight car in front of you don't hesitate, you'll love it. Cheers. 

Hey Scott, did the deal just waiting on RWC to be completed. The plan is to put new shocks in to firm up the ride and a few minor things and I'll be hitting the road! Hopefully I haven't purchased at the peak of the market and there is still some room for growth. 

2 hours ago, Airhead said:

So did the deal go through? huh? huh? Suspense is killin' me.

Lol! Sorry, yes the deal is done. Waiting on RWC, need to do a few minor things otherwise car is good to go. I'm excited and a little nervous considering what it cost me. Hopefully the market continues to grow!

Archived