924 won't rev issue

hepkat63

Hi all,

i purchased a 'do a upper' 924 - 1980 model.  Needs a lot of body work etc, but not too fused about that.  My problem is that the cars starts, but won't rev.  When you 'tap' the accelerator, you get nothing.  When you put accelerator down, it just stalls.  If you try to steadily accelerate, it does nothing then dies.

So, what I've done:

Drained the fuel tank

Cleaned in tank fuel filter

Put fresh fuel in tank

Replaced Fuel filter, Spark plugs, leads, points.

Checked rotor cap, coil and looked for anything loose or not connected.

Checked all the hoses for vacuum leaks

Pulled out plugs, did compression test - all good (well, good enough)

Whilst plugs were out, put motor at TDC, checked rotor pointing to no.1 lead

Checked timing - was 5+ - put to 10+ as per manual.

Set points to 0.28 as per manual - put plugs to 0.35 as per manual.

Kind of out ideas now.  There is no doubt lots of things under the bonnet that have been stuffed around with, but being my first 924, don't have anything to really compare it against.

So.... at the end of the day, can someone please suggest something that might be the issue?

Also, when I did my 928 K jet system I found most seals and gaskets needed replacing, throttle body ones (was quite dirty inside too)! Fuel injector seals were all hard and starting to perish, I found a few cracked vacuum hoses, basically everything that could leak or crack or perish was replaced, it was all needed but the main culprit was the WUR.

Check the condenser in the dist too, I have had cars in the past that simply would not run and replaced this and it was fine, worth a look and should be cheap.

Archived