987 non-Bose audio

TwoHeadsTas

Our 987 has the CDR24 unit, but has standard speakers etc, i.e., doesn't have the Bose update.  I understand the Bose audio uses fibre connectivity, but how about the standard unit?

Reason for asking is that I'm looking at Bluetooth options for handsfree phone.  I've just purchased the Rennkit option for my 996 http://rennkit.com/product-info/bluetooth-retrofit-kit/ which works with non fibre installations.  If the 987 is also non fibre I'll try it in that first.  We would lose the 6 stacker CD unit connection, but we rarely use that anyway, and the 996 doesnt' have this option anyway.

Otherwise, I'll investigate the Continental units (eg http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/Continental-Car-Radio-CD7416UBOR/Continental+CD+Car+Radio+CD7416-UB+OR) as I don't want to go double DIN, and don't want to spend a fortune.

Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

These units are tuned to a radio frequency right?  Does that mean that you can't listen to the radio / play CDs when the unit is active?

Correct they use a radio frequency you select. If you want to listen to the radio no you couldn’t use the unit, CDs what are they ?

24 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Correct they use a radio frequency you select. If you want to listen to the radio no you couldn’t use the unit, CDs what are they ?

CDs are things you can use to listen to music if you don't have a USB input ☺

3 hours ago, Fraz said:

Also any bluetooth system which isn't integrated into the head unit will require you to switch to the correct mode (normally AUX or CD) when you can receive a call, otherwise you won't hear them. IE. If you are listening to the radio with the rennkit and a call comes through, you will need to switch modes on the head unit as well as answer the call.

I've got an AUX wire to my headphone jack on my phone and it works fine except for when charging the phone as there's resistance in the circuit which causes a slight low volume buzz. Total cost is about $30 from memory to do that.

Archived