DIY Brake Light Switch replacement if you dare! (996)

D2000

So my 996 started displaying a PSM off/ABS warning light combo.  Quick google suggested there could be a number of causes, one of the most common being a faulty brake light switch.  Given the warning lights would clear when I restarted the car and firm braking seemed to reactivate them, that seemed to me to be the likely cause.

So ordered a new part for about $45 (996-613-113-02-M100) and went about trying to replace it myself.  There is a useful guide here:  http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-996-997-991-forum/366950-abs-psm-problem-cured.html

Got the old one out easy enough just sitting in the driver's seat and reaching under (quarter turn and pull), removed it from the wiring harness and then attached the new one.  But for the life of me I just couldn't get the new one to seat properly and then turn.  Tried from every angle - seated and just going by feel, lying with my head in the footwell and legs in the back, lying outside the car and poking my head under.  Lots of swearing and frustration.  Pelican Parts page suggested that others had filed the part down a bit to assist fitting.  Tried that to no avail.  Bit more swearing.  Asked for my neighbour who knows more about cars than me to try but he too had no luck.

So off I drove with brake lights on (brake light switch turns break lights off when it is pressed and it is pressed by releasing the brake, so when connected to the wiring but not in place the lights are on all the time) to Porsche Centre South Sydney.  The service manager was really good and was happy to squeeze it in between jobs for me.  Five minutes later he came back and said all done - there wasn't going to be anyone free for a while so he just did it himself.  I asked him how and he said "quarter turn and its in".  No special tricks, other than a bit of body manoeuvring.

PCSS didn't even charge me for their time.  And even better, no more warning lights so it looks like the replacement did the trick.

So:

1.  That's probably the end of my DIYing for now; and

2.  Thanks very much to PCSS for great service.

And one more thing.  I reckon the 996 is starting to have its day.  Three sales staff came over to look at and (from my perspective anyway) admire it.

51 minutes ago, Pauly said:

What did you do to get it in?

You quarter turned it and came out, Same to go back in?

Apparently, just wouldn't work for me.  Really hard to see what you are doing and to get your hand in a good position.  Also you are meant to be pushing the brake down which (at least for me) occupied one hand

14 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Apparently, just wouldn't work for me.  Really hard to see what you are doing and to get your hand in a good position.  Also you are meant to be pushing the brake down which (at least for me) occupied one hand

Got to hold your tongue right as well.

Archived