987.2?

Merv

After selling my 1968 911 recently (in 5 hrs ...), I have decided to keep my 356 for the long term but would like a more regular use sports car (2-3 times week) .  Looked at SC's but most seemed over priced and 993's are up there as well. I found my previous 997 Carrera cab' an excellent car but wasn't that fussed on the manual box as it was a pain when we went to the city.   I have had a Cayman before - 986 non-S.  Really nice balanced car with good trunk/s space but the base model was lacked grunt. So, I seemed to have been looking at Boxsters.  Great platform and a true sports car, as against a GT car which many of the 911's seem to be moving towards. So, which Boxster?

The sweet spot seems for my use to be the 3.4 S in 987.2 format with PDK.  No IMS issues, PDK, Sports Chrono pack, Sat Nav and so on.  I have a good friend here who is offering me his perfect condition black 2010 car with these specs, with <35K kms.  I have driven the car, even at Lakeside and it seems to tick all the boxes (no pun).  

I am interested in the experiences of others with the 987.2 and I am also interested in any perceived 'must-have' add ons such as radiator grilles, parking sensors/rear cam, bluetooth connectivity, etc.

Many thanks,

Merv

Fantastic cars Merv - balanced, fast, smooth. Drive it like a luxury car or put it into SportPlus mode and watch the car transform. They are also very reliable cars.

Sports Chrono - very much needed with PDK. Sports Exhaust is nice to have - the flat 6 sounds fantastic. Sensors and Cam can always be added

Thanks Oz and Niko.  This car has been maintained beautifully and goes like a rocket. And faster than my previous 997 over the same roads up here (Sunny Coast).

Radiator Grilles - best source?  Is there one in Australia?

Are there any suggestions re the sensors of camera.  I did see these. Just thinking that rear vision is not great on these cars.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/CDR30-HF.html 

https://www.banggood.com/WiFi-in-Car-Wireless-Rear-View-Camera-Backup-Reversing-for-iPhone-Android-ios-p-1121030.html?cur_warehouse=USA 

2 hours ago, Merv said:

Thanks Oz and Niko.  This car has been maintained beautifully and goes like a rocket. And faster than my previous 997 over the same roads up here (Sunny Coast).

Radiator Grilles - best source?  Is there one in Australia?

Non in Australia that I know of, but I got mine from..

Website:       customcargrills.com.    email:     info@customercargrills.com

have a look on 

facebook.com/customcargrills

youtube.com/customcargrills

Reasonably easy to fit, good price compared to some others in Europe and G.B.    Service is excellent, and if you buy the full kit you get grills for the rear also.

Only one you don't get is for the mouth of the bar.   Which is blocked off anyway, but be good for aesthetics.

• 2 weeks later...

I also ordered a couple of small decals from Design11, under $13.  Freight was $50! I wrote to query that quote ( for items that would fit in an envelope) and they confirmed that was their correct charge. Cancelled the order of course.  Is that typical of them?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had mine for 3 weeks but have been away fishing for 2 of those.  Can’t wait for a blast in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.  The Sports mode just transforms the car. Not sure I will ever get to launch control however.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from my fifth track day in my 987.2 Cayman (with Sports Chorno, PASM, sports exhaust) and it's a beautiful track car.  Works fantastically, except I now need to move to track pads and probably DOT 5 fluid.  Brakes start fading and pedal goes soft, but only after 20-30 minutes continuous track work.  Engine temp never moves of 80 and the wear on the tyre faces is pretty even.

Good to hear Chris.  I had a run around Lakeside earlier this year in the car and it was excellent. The Sports Chrono makes a huge difference, not that mine will see track time again.

Archived