Well that was close...

So last minute weekend trip this weekend. I got the GTI out of the garage and thought the front drivers side tyre looked a bit flat... not dramatically so, just NQR. Figured it probably needed a bit of air. So put the bags in it and for some reason I decided to look at the wall of the tyre. I thought I was seeing things at first but then noticed that the wall of the tyre had about a 15cm long GASH in it! As in the wall of the tyre looked like it had split apart. I then noticed a very small hole near where the split was AND the tyre has a fine line going all around the wall of it!

I have no recollection of hitting anything either... unless it's been there for weeks after hitting a pot hole or something.

Car went back in the garage, bags came out. I can't help but wonder what would have happened had I not noticed it??

Tyre shopping now... better replace both front ones I suppose :( :( :(

Lucky you saw that Amanda.

If you lived in the Northern Subs I would have suggested that one of your neighborhoods may have slashed them because you've been doing burnouts in the street!!!!

Guest Nick987

Lucky spot! Wouldn't want a tyre coming apart on a curve on the freeway...always good to have a quick look around the car before heading off or to check the pressures before a long journey...

Some b stard stole wheel nuts off an old car I had once to get at my tasty BBS ch rims...left me with 3 wheel nuts on one of the rims.

I had 2 mates in and must say I blasted really hard over the Bolte getting home, was an xr8 so not a light car and it was only the next day my young son spotted the wheel nuts missing...

Straight to Bobby J's and was told car could flip or lose control with missing wheel nuts or wheel coming off at high speed, definitely don't drive without all wheel nuts...

I put a lock nut on each stud. Guy at bob j thought I was nuts. I was being cautious.

Again showing it is good to check your wheels and tyres before you head off...

Guest Nick987

I always check my nuts before heading off. Esp on Sat nights.

Yep...wouldn't want to discover something missing, or someone else to discover something missing for you smiley-shocked003.gif

I was once driving along in my Dads ute, past the airport on the Bulla Rd... all of a sudden this wheel goes past me!!! Then crunch... eeeerrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkk... AH SH!T....

Someone nicked his wheel nuts!!

$1000 later.. Golfie has 4 new tyres and I have $1000 less in the P fund :(

Archived