looking at purchasing an import 912e

1 minute ago, Dave986 said:

Is that the silver one in QLD?

I have no advice on issues but it certainly looks the ducks guts.

Hi Dave,

Yes it is the one in QLD. I am in Sydney and am trying to find someone to look at for me.

New at this and don't want to buy a rust bucket. 

Thanks for comment

Mat

1 hour ago, Mathew Davis said:

I am currently looking at purchasing a 1976 912e from the states, (it is already in the Australia). Is this model Galv as I have heard different stories. What would be some other issues that I should look into before buying.

Many Thanks

Mat

With a 911, it wasn't fully galvanised till the first SC in 1978. Probably 912s were the same?? Was told they were dipped to the level of the bottom of the windows.

Its important to know which state in USA it came from. Cali = good, anywhere with snow = bad, above Mason/Dixon line  = very bad.

912s can sometimes be the same price as equivalent 911s (if this is the case I recommend a 911 as far better fun &  investment).

12 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

With a 911, it wasn't fully galvanised till the first SC in 1978. Probably 912s were the same?? Was told they were dipped to the level of the bottom of the windows.

Its important to know which state in USA it came from. Cali = good, anywhere with snow = bad, above Mason/Dixon line  = very bad.

912s can sometimes be the same price as equivalent 911s (if this is the case I recommend a 911 as far better fun &  investment).

Thanks Zelrik

The car has spent its whole life in California

Rust is my main concern

Thanks for the comment

Mat

On 7/13/2018 at 2:40 PM, Zelrik911 said:

I-programme starting Aug75  (76my) received full hot dip zinc coating to shell and bodywork parts.

If the factory coating has been breached in any way, the repair is critical It's the hidden spots to be concerned about. And they are the ones that cost $ to fix.
A fridge magnet scan is the minimum,  and it's best to get someone really knowledgeable involved. Has the car been in California all its life?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 12:17 PM, tazzieman said:

If the factory coating has been breached in any way, the repair is critical It's the hidden spots to be concerned about. And they are the ones that cost $ to fix.
A fridge magnet scan is the minimum,  and it's best to get someone really knowledgeable involved. Has the car been in California all its life?

Hi

Thanks for the comment apologies as I have been away. The car has been an LA car for a majority of its life. I will take the advise on board and thanks again

Archived