Adv Driver Training/trackday feedback?

TrevMcRev

Hi, looking for opinion on the value of doing the Porsche Advanced Driver Training coming up at Phillip Island in Oct.

They have different levels, 1&2, and an open track day.

What I really want to know is what skill level are they aimed at?

I have competed in gravel rallying for years in Rwd & turbo 4wd cars but am brand new to Porsche ownership with a series2 996.

I want to learn the limits of the car in the right environment and experience it's potential, but don't want to waste a day and the $ doing something too basic.

All advice welcome?

Trev, if you have been running in rally cars for years, give it a miss.

Better to just go and do some normal track days and find the limit in you car.

Not that this would do any harm, but they tend to be basic skills.

I have found these days to be great fun and good value. http://www.adrenalin.com.au/ultimate-track-day/vic-melbourne/motorsport/13986

Hi Trev,

Welcome to Forum and enjoy your 996.

Answer is simple, join or contact Porsche Club VIC via email with your contact.This will provide further events for you to consider both competition (great instructors) and social.

Or speak to Porsche Centre Melb who probably run that particular event.

Perhaps someone who has done that particular course will post an outline of Level 1/2.

Cheers,Mark.

Hi Trev,

Welcome to Forum and enjoy your 996.

Answer is simple, join or contact Porsche Club VIC via email with your contact.This will provide further events for you to consider both competition (great instructors) and social.

Or speak to Porsche Centre Melb who probably run that particular event.

Perhaps someone who has done that particular course will post an outline of Level 1/2.

Cheers,Mark.

Thanks Mark. An outline from someone that has done it would be good. And yes, definitely meeting other P-car owners and learning about them is what i want to experience.

I'll touch base with PCM.

Guest Nick987

Did all three days as have only dreamed and wished I could race between trees at 160+ kmh...

Day 1 and 2 are really for beginners, take you through some set piece scenarios you may encounter in your car on the road and show you what you can do to survive them. All really basic stuff but you take it to the limit you are compfortable. You can really push yourself and you will have a blast.

There are a couple of comps weaving through witches hats that are timed that you can win and the open track is great, not much traffic and excellent separation between cars so you don't risk some hoon wiping out into you.

It was my first time on a track and doing any driver training and I LOVED it, had a wild time and really know what I am doing in mine, have alot more confidence now.

Yes it covers basic stuff. But you can really take it to the limit as well and dial up the challenge and you will walk away knowing what is what very quickly.

More than happy to catch up for a chat over a coffee or peronal message me or post here if you want to know more or have more q's.

I would recommend to any P driver.

Yeah, sounds similar to an Audi Quattro Experience drive day i did in about 2000.

Slalom, wet braking, emergency stops and some laps.

Basic but useful to learn a car.

All other cars i've had i've tested their limits in "quiet" places on public roads, but the 911's limits are much higher and it is a very different animal to anything else i've owned. I feel that maybe a C4S i could have just jumped in a driven hard, being quite used to pushing AWD cars in all conditions - wet/dry tarmac or gravel. Just haven't had the chance yet to feel out the "tailyness" of this thing yet. I've given it a bit of a sniff and it doesn't take much!

Rallying on gravel is a blast! Nothing like the feeling of committing to holding it flat over a blind crest when your co-driver calls the pace notes. Or chucking it in sideways to a corner before you can quite see through it...

Guest Nick987

I've given it a bit of a sniff and it doesn't take much!

Rallying on gravel is a blast! Nothing like the feeling of committing to holding it flat over a blind crest when your co-driver calls the pace notes. Or chucking it in sideways to a corner before you can quite see through it...

Oh yeah! Wish I could join you! :D

Hi Trev,

I did level 1 at Eastern Creek in my first P 996 manual, it was basic to a degree but what a great opportunity to appreciate the weight in the tail with plenty of room.

I did the second level at Eastern Creek in my 997.2 AWD & that was great for the practice before driving Targa TAS closed roads, always nice to know what happens near the limit (my limit, not the cars).

I must say the track experience in level 1 & 2 was worthwhile when we went to Simmons Plains, it was really easy to get into it on the track.

I'm off to Mt Cotton for the level 3 on Friday in the GT3's so will let you know how it goes.

I have put both Porsches sideways, not intentionally I mention, & yes it happened very quickly & both times my fault!!!!

I have a 991 manual now & it won't be going sideways, I hope!!!

Archived