944 1984 values - front engine brains trust . Phone a friend

michel

Seems I’m getting infatuated with front engines 

been offered a 2 owner 84 manual approx 140xxxkms  , burgundy kinda colour , linen interior (?)  straight, orig paint , though a few cosmetic issues 

been sitting awhile . Owner said take it for a test drive . Mechanic where it’s stiredlaughed and said ... no fukn way ... as in impossible to drive .. no clutch for starters 

I’ve offered to buy as is , rather then the owner (half) assing about with ‘making it right’

I’m aware of the fix costs as I’m now neck deep in major refurb costs on my 86 turbo 

however I have no idea on what to offer 

Do t really follow pricing on these , however head says a minty loved version might be 15-20k max??? 

So knowing this likely need 10k +++ spent 

whats fair buying ???

Well if there's say $5k in paint rectification and $5k in parts and labour to do the mechanicals, then taking into consideration your minty values (as opposed to what they actually sell for within a realistic time frame) I'd say half market value or a bit less. Depends how attached to the car the owner is and how realistic he is on price. You know all too well how Porsche owners can be.

2 similar cars with average/ok/serviceable paint (one being the same burgundy colour) recently sold here for $6000 and $7500, yet they were both registered and driveable 

Funny man 

want a car I can punt about and leave dirty parked on the street if needs be .. but do want mechanics and drive to be good .. cosmetics a secondary worry.

on the plus side it does  have the eurovox joystick stereo I want in the turbo 

so im left thinking it’s a sub 5k offer 

1 hour ago, michel said:

Funny man 

want a car I can punt about and leave dirty parked on the street if needs be .. but do want mechanics and drive to be good .. cosmetics a secondary worry.

on the plus side it does  have the eurovox joystick stereo I want in the turbo 

so im left thinking it’s a sub 5k offer 

Well you know a clutch is no quick arvo job. Add up cost of TB/WP , brakes and steering and tyre refurb and make a fair offer. 5k max sounds reasonable.

Archived