Service and IMS bearing upgrade

AndyS

Hello all water cooled people,

I have noticed two topics getting a bit of air time lately and thought I would post this for all who may be interested. Topics relate to Dealer Vs independent for servicing and the Intermediate Shaft Bearing upgrade. There has been a bit about 911 996 / 997 and Boxter 986 IMS bearing failure. All my info suggested 5-10% of cars could possibly be effected. Still rare but probability does increase as engine gets older (sorry for stating the obvious) so it was time for me to bite the bullet and get it done at the same time I was getting the most recent service. Having done some research I expected engine out, LN Engineering from the USA seemed like the best bearing replacement. This starts to link me to the dealer Vs independent debate. Took my car to Michael from Autoart in Preston. He has been looking after the car for 5 years plus and have always had a very good experience. The instructions were to do the bearing, inspect the clutch and replace if needed (had been before so wasn't expecting it was required but with this work being it would be silly to ignore if needed) and do a minor service.

Picked up the car today. Bearing all done (old one was OK but thats the roll of the dice). He told me the clutch was fine and the number of Km's I do in the car combined with no city driving the existing one should last for years to come. Also with a 6 speed manual rather than tiptronic he can do the IMS bearing without taking the engine out so he did the work with engine in the car so less labour cost. Final result was just on 2K. This was $500 - $1000 under what I expected. Two questions, when was the last time some major work on a porsche cost less than you were hoping for, and second, when was the last time a porsche workshop chose not to do some work when it wasn't necessary in the interest of their customer when they could have just is easily replace parts when they are still perfectly OK and charge me for the privilege.

Very pleased and looking forward to the next SMT

Regards

Well done Andy, and well done Autoart.

That story is nearly as good as just watching Collingwood get creamed by the swans.

I know you will sleep better now that work has been done, I know i do once I had my IMS done.

Autoart might be a good Option to keep in mind for those North of the Yarra

• 4 months later...

Hi all. I am new to this forum and just as new to Porsche ownership. After always wanting one and never thinking the day would come I have bought a friends 996. It's got 124k on it and good service history, primarily at a Melbourne independent. I got a PPI done and came with minor service just completed and RWC. Minor leaks and needs air flow meter replaced for RWC.

They have also advised I have the RMS replaced and clutch checked. I at first thought this may have been a bit of over kill but now starting to think $2500 for " peace of mind motoring "might be worth it?? It seems like this problem is very difficult to pick up on before damage has already occurred. Would the general consciences be have it done ??

Mine's a 6 speed manual and its a 1998 model.

Thanks for any advice.

Also welcome aboard T bone. My 986 is inflicted with the same IMS problem as your 996. I had mine done about 6 months ago. Peace of mind well worth it. Mine cost around 2k for the Boxster to be done inc a couple of other little jobs.

Very expensive if it lets go. Well and truly suggest the upgrade. Have them also note it in your service book.

Congratulations on your purchase, be great if you could post a photo.

Thanks guys. Will talk to them and book it in. They quoted about $2500. That sounds about the average. Car been looked after there for last 10 years so makes sense to have them do it. Will try and put a photo up too. Car has had short shift added, lowered and quad pipes. All done at independent.

I am having a few parking dents taken out, having bonnet re sprayed and hopefully fixing central locking and a few little cosmetic things you do when something is new to you.

Congrats Tbone, sounds like you've got a great ride there :)

If the clutch needs looking at now, might as well do the lot and then carry on enjoying your new to you machine.

Where's the pics?  Also, our butt pic thread needs a photo of your butt.. not your butt your 996 butt!

Thanks. Have tried to upload a photo but says file too big? That's the file not my butt!

Tbone, if you have a photobucket account put it in there and then re load it back onto the forum.    Should work fine.   Bit of mucking about to you master it if you haven't done it before..

• 5 months later...

Hello all water cooled people,

I have noticed two topics getting a bit of air time lately and thought I would post this for all who may be interested. Topics relate to Dealer Vs independent for servicing and the Intermediate Shaft Bearing upgrade. There has been a bit about 911 996 / 997 and Boxter 986 IMS bearing failure. All my info suggested 5-10% of cars could possibly be effected. Still rare but probability does increase as engine gets older (sorry for stating the obvious) so it was time for me to bite the bullet and get it done at the same time I was getting the most recent service. Having done some research I expected engine out, LN Engineering from the USA seemed like the best bearing replacement. This starts to link me to the dealer Vs independent debate. Took my car to Michael from Autoart in Preston. He has been looking after the car for 5 years plus and have always had a very good experience. The instructions were to do the bearing, inspect the clutch and replace if needed (had been before so wasn't expecting it was required but with this work being it would be silly to ignore if needed) and do a minor service.

Picked up the car today. Bearing all done (old one was OK but thats the roll of the dice). He told me the clutch was fine and the number of Km's I do in the car combined with no city driving the existing one should last for years to come. Also with a 6 speed manual rather than tiptronic he can do the IMS bearing without taking the engine out so he did the work with engine in the car so less labour cost. Final result was just on 2K. This was $500 - $1000 under what I expected. Two questions, when was the last time some major work on a porsche cost less than you were hoping for, and second, when was the last time a porsche workshop chose not to do some work when it wasn't necessary in the interest of their customer when they could have just is easily replace parts when they are still perfectly OK and charge me for the privilege.

Very pleased and looking forward to the next SMT

Regards

Archived