Porsche advanced driver training Lvl3 day

GC9911

Gents & awit,

As is the obligation of a forum member i am fulfilling my duty to report.

I recently attended the Porsche Australia Lvl3 driver training at Mt Cotton/Brisbane raceway.

What a day!

Arrived at Mt Cotton driver training centre for the briefing, as always super well organised.

• Register,
  • Sign your life away disclaimers,
  • Issue of name tags,
  • then house rules,
  • then go outside & choose your vehicle & drive to Brisbane Raceway 50 klms away,
  • choose between:-

• 2011 GT3,
  • 2011 Twin turbo,
  • 991S PDK,
  • 991 manual,
  • 997.2 4S PDK,
  • 991 PDK,
  • 997.2 carrera 4S
  • Panamerra 4.8ltr,
  • 2012 Boxster S PDK,
  • Caymen manual,
  • 2012 Boxster pdk,
  • Cayene,

my choice 991 manual!

Arrive at Bris Raceway & briefing by Thomas Mazera,

Instructers were:

• Thomas Mazera,
  • Fabian Coultard,
  • Luke Youlden,
  • Warren Luff,
  • Steve Pizzati,
  • & appologies but 3 other guys that were ace.

Exercises in the morning were high speed cornering, slalolm (heads up, look at where you want to go, not where you are) & deliberately upsetting the car through corners at 130klms / hr then geting it back under control.

The afternoon was track work, using all the different cars with an instructor in the car, I don't think I have ever gained so much instruction/knowledge as I did by having these guys in the car with you, they were just great. I felt like my car control & high speed stuff jumped up a level plus some.

The cars!!!!!!!!!

I need to state my predujice, I love manual cars, I can't get to grips with PDK, I don't feel like I have the same level of control (but I just may be old)!

Ok!

Lets start with Panamera, look at it & say, so big! ugly ?? maybe, but drive it, hear it & experience it, my god what a machine, I'm in love with this engineering master piece!!!!!!!!!!!! it shouldn't go,handle, sound like this, but it does, but bloody brilliant, one of the best cars I've driven, addictive sound, handling & luxury.

Cayman 2.7ltr, got it all (almost), near perfect balance, control but needs the 3.4ltr, supreme fun.

Carrera 4S PDK, I owned a 997.2 carrea 4 manual & loved it but the pdk in the 4S is just off putting, great grip but the pdk feels like you have less control.

991 3.8 S pdk, this was surprising compared to the 991 3.4 manual, it didn't feel faster than the 3.4, but this could be down to my manual preference,

Now for the killer, the new boxster S pdk is just out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!! the balance & poise is something you have to experience to believe. You cannot unsettle this car (& i tried). I drive a 991 911 manual & while I love it I don't want to drive a Boxster S manual as I may have just wasted a $100K!!!!! This cars balance & feel is mind boggling. Everbody was faster in the slalom in the Boxster than the 991 PDK with sport chrono.I

Now for something different, Cayene, I don't like SUV's but was told to drive it through the corner at 120klms without braking, then unsettle the car by jumping on the brakes mid corner then get it back under control. it wasn't that difficult, the bloody thing just got its sh#@ together & powered on.

NOW

Twin turbo,

You can steer this with the accelerator pedal, come on to the straight & floor it (sort of) & it feels like someone is pushing you with a giant hand in the middle of your back, 160klms before you're halfway down the straight, then about 240klms/hr at the braking mark & it's a short straight. BUT the PDK ARGHHHHHHHH!!!! No, No, No!!!

Piece de resistance

GT3 Manual

My god, what a machine, this is the best car I have ever driven.

Braking, take the braking markers & ignore them. First lap you brake at the marker & you're stopped halfway to the corner!!!! next lap brake 30% before the corner & you're still probably braking to early.

The clutch is really stiff/hard when you get in but after 1 lap it's perfect & short throw,

Acceleration, hit the torque band & I'm not sure why you would bother with a PDK turbo unless you can't drive a manual (apologies to PDK converts, not really).

Grip, what can I say, way beyond my ability!!!

Archived