Boxster 987 Oil Air Seperator issue

Hi, all have what I’m sure is a failing AOS on my 07 Boxster (lots of smoke on startup, high idle, can’t remove oil cap when running due to vacuum pressure, squeal when driving etc). Can order the part from the 🇬🇧 Thru eBay, has anyone replaced this part themselves?, I’m In Townsville and there a Porsche centre but I’d say there costs would be ridiculous, and they probably wouldn’t to let me provide my own part even though it’s genuine. So can any mechanic put the part in, or do I have to use the local PC, or I’m fairly handy so should i just try myself!? Thoughts....

link to part https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-987-Oil-Air-Separator-2003-Onwards-Genuine-Porsche/192426006727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Daz I had one done by the local independent on my old 2001 Boxster S.

Obviously yours might be a bit different than what one was to replace on my old 986 but it really wasn't expensive to do.

Unfortunately all my paperwork went with the box when I sold it, but I think it only came to about $250 - $300 all up, from memory.

That was labour and part.

I'm not mechanically minded when it comes to P cars, but I think it is a reasonably easy job.

Worth a phone call to the local independent...

Good luck with it.

2 hours ago, DAZ said:

So hose clamp pliers from supercheap should work!?

Local Porsche center has part for $148ex but want $865 to fit

Try an indy....  The 987 may be harder to do than the 986 but I think $865 to fit it is a bit rich....

so, ordered the part from local PC, here tomorrow, found an old german mechanic in Townsville that was the citys best kept secret, but hey can replace for $300 on Thursday so happy with that... thanks all for your input

4 hours ago, DAZ said:

So hose clamp pliers from supercheap should work!?

Local Porsche center has part for $148ex but want $865 to fit

No. The remote pliers have a cable about 500m long so you can reach into the spaces. I'll take a pic and post when I'm home.

5 hours ago, DAZ said:

so, ordered the part from local PC, here tomorrow, found an old german mechanic in Townsville that was the citys best kept secret, but hey can replace for $300 on Thursday so happy with that... thanks all for your input

That's more like it...Well done

So...

AOS done,  car drove home great, Friday evening after I picked it up, go for a drive today (Saturday) and it won’t idle, with revs the car stays on, won’t idle, take foot of the accelerator and it shuts down. So took engine cover off, when reviving it (to keep it alive) sounds like a vacuum noise, wheezing air noise. Maybe a hose or the like has been disconnected when the AOS job done!? Thoughts...

You will notice that there is a black corrugated flexible tube connected to the AOS, these become brittle and usually break when replacing the AOS and should also be replaced. In the mean time you could wrap the break in duct tape. 

So, interesting, mechanic said flexible pipe was damaged on replacing but he duct taped up and should be ok in short term, 12 hours might be the shortest term!, so that failure would cause that issue?

he said I need to find out part number and order from Porsche centre. So how does one find out the part number!?

Pc will know it from your vin.

I should have mentioned this hose replacement. It was a longvtime ago i did mine.

FYI Pelican parts has tutorials and recommendations like this. There is an unusual o rig that is required as well but is most likely supplied with the AOS. It looks like a series of 4 or 5 O rings together.

Different to the 986.

The 986 has a short ribbed tube off the bottom and another enters the side top.

Your's appears to slot into a fixed fitting at the bottom. (I just googled pelican and pedros garage) from this it's seems it's not the one i mentioned. 

Its part no 98710724601,, around A$80 plus shipping from design 911 in the UK, usually takes 3 days to arrive.

Ask me how I know ? Well I am rebuilding my engine after I spun a big end bearing at the track, 1 little $10 bearing and $5k bill including a new internal IMS bearing, AOS etc

If you google Auto Atlanta and scroll through to Boxster 2005>2008, browse factory parts manual, you will find the AOS standing upright in its correct orientation. its a simple job to replace it.

Warren

On 11/05/2019 at 16:50, WB997.2GTS said:

You will notice that there is a black corrugated flexible tube connected to the AOS, these become brittle and usually break when replacing the AOS and should also be replaced. In the mean time you could wrap the break in duct tape. 

are they hard to fit?, any suggestions? (part order from local Porsche Centre, arrives tomorrow)

• 9 months later...
On 07/05/2019 at 10:22, DAZ said:

Hi Daz,

Can you please let me know the name of the workshop you used.

Cheers, Ryan