Windscreen washer tubing blocked 1978 911SC

Paul A

The right hand side windscreen washer jet has very poor flow (though the left sided jet is okay). I've passed a fine wire into the ejection point on the right side to clear it without success, so a blockage is suspected but access to the relevant tubing which passes across the vehicle from right to the left seems to be impossible because of fan assembly and partition. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Welcome to the forum, Paul.  Best advice I can give is to start digging.  Easy things first...pull the spray nozzle up and remove the hose from the nozzle. Clean any dirt that’s collected in the back of the fitting.

Run the washer pump and check the water flow before refitting the nozzle. 

If it’s still blocked get the tools out. The carpet and fan cover panel are easy enough to remove.  You should then be able to access the hoses.  Start by checking for blockages on the pump side of any junctions.  

Good luck.

PS. Tell us about your car.  Maybe share a photo or two if you can work out how to 😖

Sometimes the windscreen washers oneway valves block up or become restrictive, maybe have a look at them as well. Items 29 & 26 on drawing, 29 is for the RH washer nozzle.

911_1983_9_04_904-10.jpg

127574.jpg129050.png

Many thanks for the (above) helpful advice. I’m starting to think that the problem is in the one way valve or the tubing as is passes behind the housing for the air intake for ventilation. However the ACCESS to them is my problem (see photo). There isn’t enough length to just pull the tubing out to test/replace the valve. If I could remove the black Behr air intake then one could get at the tubing, etc;- but how do you do that and is it the right solution anyway?

CA97A64E-78C9-4291-96D3-9C2A472493FD.jpeg

Removing the oil temp/pressure gauge from inside the car can give you additional access. Somewhat restrictive because of the demister guide tube up to the windscreen, but will still give you an idea of where you're looking.

Yes, I would really like to be able to pull the existing tubing and one way valves out and into view so that they can be flushed or simply replaced (see Parts 26 and 29 in the diagram in the post from 81SC, above) but there's not enough slack in the tubing to allow that (and I don't have hands the size of a 5 year old or German mechanic!) even pulling the left sided valve off the actual spray jet (nozzle) doesn't give me enough extra length to work on the valve. 

So, this was behind my question as to whether the big ventilation air-intake housing can be removed - it could be a big job but, if possible, all would be exposed.

Meanwhile, I will take a look at the possibility of accessing the area via the oil temp/pressure gauge from inside the car, though, as you say, the view might still be a bit restricted. 

Archived