Rear brake/park light problem... 1975 Carrera

Kerry

Sorry to bore you on this very hot afternoon, but I can't let this one get past me!

Right rear brake/park light on IGY the '75 Carrera - park globe doesn't work, brake globe does (this is one globe, two filaments). Obviously changed and tried a series of new globes, same result.

Checked with circuit checker thingme and no light up when terminal touched one side of socket internal terminals, but does on the other (brake light confirmed working).

Checked and replaced any dodgy looking fuses with new ones - none appeared broken in first place.

Lose wire? Gone to pull out lights housing unit but when it appeared to be a much bigger job than my shallow attention span would handle, and then I thought, if only I had a resource where I could ask a question like this of a bunch of like-minded friends... hold on!

Suggestions comrades?

:huh:

Kerry

Yes, its something in the wiring within the housing.

First things first. Blast the female bulb connector(s) with WD50 or CRC. Let it sit for a while and test again. This works alot more than you'd think.........

Removal isn't that difficult, too freakin hot to do it today though, But I'd remove it and take it to an Auto Electrician and get them to test it and repair if possible. I suspect that something has corroded or broken within.........

I just checked how much a new one costs. $514.95. from pelican (WTF?) so repair will be cheaper than new!!

Secondhand ones in UK :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-Rear-light-housings-/130812779524?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e750c9c04

Jack the car up at the rear and remove the wheel(s). Its the only way. Attacking it from under and behind the housing is the best way....

You may encounter some fasteners that are rusted, give them a good dose of good old WD40 and let that penetrate first as you don't want to break the studs on the housing (515 bucks each remember...)

Here is a good thread from Pelican on how to do it :

http://forums.pelica...t-assembly.html

I live too far away to pop over and assist!! Which I would love to do................

edit* just had a squizz at mine. I would be removing the bumper and side panel below the bumper as well to gain easier access. I had all of this off last time I was in there..........what a PITA.

Maybe a decent auto sparky can diagnose and repair whilst its on the car? hopefully save you the ass-around of removal.

Thanks man, good advice... I'll have a cool drink now and think about that further...

;)

Kerry

If your drinking the WD40 to cure your problems, that's probably what gave you the Hangover you reported on Sunday ?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Russ, so you're suggesting I remove the headlight on the same side and check for a shorting terminal? (I know this sounds like I'm repeating what you already said, but better confirm this on this side of the fishing expedition! ;) )

Cheers mate,

And Mark... WD is just like an Australian whiskey, only a bit softer!

Lol

Kerry

well, i kept blowing park, and taillights on the same side, it was a shorting terminal in the headlight

it sounds sorta similar.. but it might not be the same thing re-reading it

do you still have a park globe? or has it blown?/fused?

Hey Russ,

I have one park light working, and both brakelights, but I can't seem to be able to find the problem with the dead park light... not fuse, not globe, ... there must be a short somewhere, might be beyond my limited abilities/facilities to find though.

Cheers,

Kerry

Archived