2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Review

tomo

The major problem with the new GT4 like it's 981 predecessor is the gearing. The gears are still too long for public road use and 3rd gear takes you up to 180 km/hr. If you are going to track the car - the gearing combination is ideal but if you are buying a GT4 to enjoy as a road car, you will never get have a chance to ring it out to it's limits - this also applies to the 981 and 718 Spyder.

And as evidenced by the numerous low kilometre  examples for sale on carsales.com.au, most "owners" don't even drive them but are speculators hoping to cash in those that did with the 911R. Except that Porsche didn't limit the number they made, at one point adding another 1000 to the run, making the 981 GT4 not as exclusive as people were lead to believe.  This time round, the 718 GT4 and Spyder are no longer touted limited edition models. 

Watch for a spike in PDK GT4s in future due to the widely publicised manual gearing issues.  I had a GT4 and it didn’t really bother me but if I drove a shorter geared car back to back maybe i’d have be more tuned in to it.  Too fast for the toad whatever the gearing 😬

https://www.caradvice.com.au/825298/porsche-cayman-gt4-boxster-spyder-to-gain-pdk-option-this-year-report/