eBay wheels... for a Macan

Roly

My new Macan is just off the coast of West Africa. Arriving end of July.
It’s been a long wait  because of Covid.... now the wheels.

Has anyone got any concerns about getting wheels from eBay?

Much cheaper ( Way less than half Price )   than buying them from new from Porsche.
... $1299 for a set, see attached screen shot.

thanks... 

EF9729F1-56DB-4D20-BC52-F98E36ACF7E3.png

5 hours ago, Roly said:

My new Macan is just off the coast of West Africa. Arriving end of July.
It’s been a long wait  because of Covid.... now the wheels.

Has anyone got any concerns about getting wheels from eBay?

Much cheaper ( Way less than half Price )   than buying them from new from Porsche.
... $1299 for a set, see attached screen shot.

thanks... 

EF9729F1-56DB-4D20-BC52-F98E36ACF7E3.png

Roly, are you sue that's for a set, and not per wheel???

At that price you are pretty much guaranteed they will be heavy, gravity cast, shit quality wheels compared to quality wheels which Porsche provide as the OEM.

I always have purchased OEM or quality aftermarket wheels myself but I know a lot of people run similar replica (aka fake) wheels and issues with them seem few and far between.

In saying that some of the failures have been catastrophic. See heres for some info on the dangers of replica wheels (I literally spent 20 seconds googling this, there is a lot of info out there)  https://www.carthrottle.com/post/what-is-it-that-makes-fake-wheels-so-potentially-dangerous/

If you had a 911/Cayman/Boxster I would say no because of the weight of replicas but that doesn't really apply to the Macan so the difference in weight I think will be negligible.

Personally I wouldn't buy a brand new 100k car to then cheap out on the wheels especially if my family was in the car, it's sort of like the old bell advertisement "if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet" and to me the same applies to fake wheels.

I would however consider buy used Porsche OEM wheels on eBay as the price will probably be a third of what Porsche charge new. You just have to wait for a set you like to come up.