3.2 litre Carrera Coupe Vs Cabriolet

MB911

Hello members,

I am hoping that you can give me some advice on 3.2 litre Carrera Coupe Vs Cabriolet?

I am going to purchase one or the other at the end of the year and I don’t know too much about the Cab?

I have a preference for a wide body and I have noticed that Cab's with a wide body seem to be more common and cheaper?

I have owned a convertible before so I have some insight into the pros and cons of their ownership. I will just be using the Carrera as a toy to take out for a drive, detail, and then cover again in the garage so practicality isn’t a major issue.

Does anyone own or has owned a 3.2 litre Cab and can give me some much appreciated advice?

Thanks very much

Hi MB911,

I am currently getting my car registered in Canberra, one of the things I noted was the engineer told me a story about a fellow who had an imported Cab and had problems getting rear lap sash seat belts fitted for compliance.

Apparently they couldn't mount them because of something to do with the top coming down.

In the end he pulled out the rear seats and registered as a 2 seater.

Also, he mentioned that he needed to pay a local fellow to install side intrusion bars, as in some countries they were not mandatory in the mid 80's.

If you don't end up buying an Australian delivered car just be aware of our local requirements.

terry

HI MB911.

Very much a personal choice. My 996 is a 6 speed Cab and I love it. What you give up regarding rigidity and 'classic lines' you make up in the open top experience. Just ask yourself what is more important to you.

Enjoy the process

Andy S

Hi MB,

Welcome to the forum.

Generally speaking a coupe 911 will be more desireable and worth more than a cab, despite them being more expensive when new. I tend to believe that this is mostly due to the 911 never really being designed as a convertible (well not so much in the older cars anyway).

I understand the appeal of a convertible but also tend to agree the 911 is best served as a coupe. If your after a convertible a Boxter would be a better option, a car designed specifically without a roof!

Hi Terry, Andy and Hugh,

Thanks very much for your replies. Your 911's look awesome.

Not really sure which way I will go yet, the boxster is a great car (Drove a 3.2 S), but if I have to part with my S2 (wife says one Porsche is enough for any man, really...) it would have to be for a 3.2 litre carrera, I have loved them since the 1980's.

Cheers,

Mark

I grappled with the same decision recently and just pulled the trigger on a wide body coupe. I originally wanted a cab but decided the lines of the car with the roof up really detracted from the beauty of the car. They do look awesome with the top down though.

You're spoilt for choice at the moment with 4 cabs worth a call and two of them well priced. Over the last 18 months there's always been at least two on the market at any time. These things take a very long time to sell. The Venetian blue one for $47k has been on the market for about 4 months. Demand is very low for them, even for good ones. The coupes on the other hand seem to be a lot rarer. I bought the 3rd one to come on the market in 18 months. The other two were gone in about a month and were both advertised for $59k. So you'll likely pay a $10k premium for the coupe and have some competition if you don't get in quick. I rang the seller of mine within an hour if him posting the ad and had it booked in for a PPI later that day. He therefore gave me priority when someone else enquirer later that week.

So if you're indifferent about body shape you may find yourself in a cab anyway. Depends how patient you are.

Thanks Simon for the advice,

My budget is under $50k so the Cab may end up being the way I have to go.

I agree about the lines, the Cabs are sensational with the top down, but top up parked next to a coupe they do suffer.

I've got a most of the year to work it out while I save the rest of my money.

• 1 month later...

I like both cab and coupe and had the same thoughts before I ended up with the cab. The drive down the peninsula with the top down and air cooled motor begging for a thrashing however is just unbeatable in my opinion. I see it as best of both worlds really.

All I can say with any purchase though is do your due diligence, make sure it is checked thoroughly before you hand over the cheque. I got burnt with mine as it was my first Porsche and I ended up forking out 7k on a gearbox rebuild 3 months after I bought it (I have since learned big time).

It is one of those cars though that I just can't see myself ever selling 

Archived