Engine oil level gauge / Dipstick

911Gbanger

Hello everyone,

This is my first 911 so be gentle lol. It’s a 964 C2

From first starting the car how long does it usually take for the oil level gauge to move to its correct level?

Secondly, does the dipstick alway read as empty when the car is cold or should it show at least some oil ? I do know it is a dry sump but not entirely sure if that means it’s literally dry unlike a conventional engine with oil sitting in the sump? 

Thank you 

If I can remember the temp guage should be about the 8 oclok mark and you oil gauge should show  a correct reading, To check your dip stick engine should be at correct temp , Make sure your car is on level ground, Clean D/S put back in tube wait about a minit check d/s again should read about 4 mm below  max for correct level , And do this procedure with the motor running.

Oil needs to be checked on the dipstick.

Allow car to warm up - first mark on oil temp gauge. 

Leave engine running at idle

Ensure car parked on level ground

Check oil on dipstick with engine running, and adjust level as necessary. 500mls between empty and full on dipstick (check your owners manual) , so if you need to add oil I add in 200ml increments (using a marked cooking measuring cup now only used for oil filling) and recheck.

I never use oil level gauge and trust it implicitly - but I do use it as a guide.

No excuse not to check regularly - they do use oil 

Thanks

Justin