To ITB or not to ITB

Jcg1

Ok so I’m looking at spending some more money on my 3.0 911.

I have had the engine rebuilt 2 years ago with oversized barrels cams etc, it goes really really well. I still have the cis system, so am thinking of getting an off the shelf itb kit. I can see the cost around 5-6k by the time it’s in. My question is is it worth it? Will it make more power? Will it sound cooler 😉?

Which kit ? DIY , Al Kosmal, PMO other? 

general wisdom is once ‘everything’ purchased installed setup dynoed and dialled in , total cost can be significantly more.

however if you are very tech minded and can do all of the above then different.

it will sound different, it may create more useable torque /hp.

have you had your currrent setup  dynoed?

BTW you are aware of DKUBUS and the EWUR - Electronic warm up regulator. Takes CIS Into 21 century and tuneable.

Particularly good for turbos Though n/a cars benefit, though agree CIS does not look as cool 

https://dkubus.com/?product=frankencis-e-wur-basic

A new set of PMO carbies look cool also sound good and may make more useable power and not as exxy as ITB’s

Looking forward  to what you do 

18 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

. I still have the cis system, so am thinking of getting an off the shelf itb kit. I can see the cost around 5-6k by the time it’s in.

Depends how much work you are going to invest yourself, if you're happy using secondhand converted motorcycle ITB's, a used ecu with very basic functionality and  also doing some of the tuning yourself.

Suggest you do some Googling of Al Kosmal, Ransant and Pelican Forum as well as snooping around some of the threads on PFA like Mr Cat's above and a guy called Bumble who kept the same inlet manifold but junked the CIS for a ecu.

Many people use this ITB kit : Porsche Bolt on 6 Cylinder ITB Kit Boxer Engines, Carbon Rain Hats - Racehead Engineering and add a suitable ecu, harness and sensors.

So even if you do most of it yourself you are still a few grand short I think.  If you want a turn key, you're at least 3 times underdone. 

10 hours ago, michel said:

Which kit ? DIY , Al Kosmal, PMO other? 

general wisdom is once ‘everything’ purchased installed setup dynoed and dialled in , total cost can be significantly more.

however if you are very tech minded and can do all of the above then different.

it will sound different, it may create more useable torque /hp.

have you had your currrent setup  dynoed?

BTW you are aware of DKUBUS and the EWUR - Electronic warm up regulator. Takes CIS Into 21 century and tuneable.

Particularly good for turbos Though n/a cars benefit, though agree CIS does not look as cool 

https://dkubus.com/?product=frankencis-e-wur-basic

A new set of PMO carbies look cool also sound good and may make more useable power and not as exxy as ITB’s

Looking forward  to what you do 

I was looking at doing off the shelf but seems costs may go through the roof.

talk to me about the dkubus. Seems interesting. My engine has cams has over size barrels and pistons but standard cis system. How much more power do you think I can pick up with Dynomtune and also what is this dkubus thing all about, bit confused when I read the link

2 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

I was looking at doing off the shelf but seems costs may go through the roof.

talk to me about the dkubus. Seems interesting. My engine has cams has over size barrels and pistons but standard cis system. How much more power do you think I can pick up with Dynomtune and also what is this dkubus thing all about, bit confused when I read the link

Give Mike a call super nice bloke , lots of knowledge very helpful.

regarding how much power you can achieve with a dyno I cannot answer that,.

Wanting Seeking Achieving power is a curious thing. Not always a good thing . 

however I suggest you call Mike @ DKUBUS and have a chat.

If you already understand the basics of CIS , and the role of the  WUR then it’s pretty straightforward. 

if not browse about the internet , but I’d recommend you speak with Mike.