Research questions

Hello my good fellows,

I'm still very much in the early stages of researching, learning, deciding (and dreaming) about my first porsche and would appreciate any knowledge/advice from the seasoned members here.

My apologies in advance for the onslaught of varied (and possibly irrelevant) questions to come.

To get things started - 

1. I love the look of the back lights on the early 911's. The ones where the back lights do not wrap all the way around like on later models (see my avatar pic for example). Am I right in thinking that only the early models had this style? Did this style of backlight ever come back after 1973? 

What threw me off was the recent Singer Porsche video on youtube, where apparently the stock model was a 964 but ended up with 'split' backlights too.

2. Are whale tail spoilers removable like a normal spoiler, or are they part of the main body?

Regards,

Seano

PS, my shortlist at the moment are the early 911's from 69-73, 964's and 993's.

Seano,

The rear reflector was present in different forms from 1974 -1997.

All early 911's(and 912's) 1964 - 1973 sported the 'long hood', small bumpers and no rear reflector

Some whale tales are removable however its not really a bolt on, bolt off option. Most Tails are the whole rear engine cover and as such, if you wanted to swap between the two you'd need two engine covers, one with a tail and one without.

The singer car is 'back dated' to the long hood style. So it embodies the delicate early 911 look with the last aircooled underpinnings from the 993. Some would say its the ultimate 911, and I would tend to agree with them.

I normally don't like up dates, back dates etc..., however the Singer has been well developed and executed perfectly.

911's from 69-73, 964's and 993's

None of these will have the whale tail as standard BTW.

Post '73 cars can have the "split lights" look, you simply replace the reflector with a blank panel.

As wasserkuhl suggested whale tail can be removed but spoiler mounting holes then need to be filled, people who want to change the look usually replace the whole lid with either a flat lid or a ducktail.

Thanks for all the awesome responses everyone.

Wasser, I agree that the Singer 911's are simply beautiful and awe inspiring cars.

Randall, thanks for the pic. What model is that?

f3nr15, my budget, if things go according to plan, should be $50k within the next 3 years. I'm planning some renos on the house so we'll see how much I have left over from that. Cam's 911T is beautiful. Love the colour!

What's your budget?

If you're considering early cars, you should look at Cam Arnott's sublime S/T replica (if it's still available) -

If I hadn't bought my 964 in 2011, I'm sure I would have bought this car.

surprised to see it still for sale, looks like a great car.

Archived